Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving, mini split question

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely getting a "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" kind of vibe. Seemed like a good idea, but that's why I asked. I will just get a new one
    One big advantage to new, unless what you have is already almost new, is more efficiency and an increasingly greater variety of interior units, often at a more attractive cost than the older units. The marketplace is cooking for inverter technology and even upgrades for whole house inverter tech are really hitting the mark
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One big advantage to new, unless what you have is already almost new, is more efficiency and an increasingly greater variety of interior units, often at a more attractive cost than the older units. The marketplace is cooking for inverter technology and even upgrades for whole house inverter tech are really hitting the mark
    My unit is only around three years old and works great. Never really intended on moving, but life is funny. Doing it myself never seemed like a great idea. Calling around, seems like the going rate to uninstall it is about $1,000 based on who I spoke to. Could be more. Throw in cost of repairs to the house, I'm not saving a ton of money and I'm obviously incurring risk that's a lot more than savings.

New plan will be run electric to my new shop and get a new unit.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice

"New Shop" is always an exciting thing!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am building a new shop and taking the Mr. Cool DIY mini split from the old shop and putting it in the new shop (plus adding another Mr. Cool DIY). I called Mr. Cool to ask how to do exactly what the OP wants to do.

They said all I needed to do was to close the valves and remove the lines from the compressor. They said it would keep the refrigerant in the line set and re setting it up would be the reverse of un-installing it.

The tech said there should be no problems.

I am doing it in a few weeks, I guess we will find out soon enough.

PK

In theory the unit can be run so it sucks all the freon out of the lineset by closing the discharge valve. Then close the input valve and go to town. You will have to pull a vacuum on the new lineset and evaporator.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    In theory the unit can be run so it sucks all the freon out of the lineset by closing the discharge valve. Then close the input valve and go to town. You will have to pull a vacuum on the new lineset and evaporator.
    Bill D
    Not in theory but actually can be done. An A/C tech just did that with my old condenser. I was having a new A/C installed and the 28 year old one was still running good. A neighbor needed a new condenser and could not afford one. I talked to the tech and he agreed to move my old condenser to the neighbors house, for a fee of course. He pumped the freon into the old compressor using the old compressor, closed the suction valve and cut the unit loose. I could not see or hear any sign of freon when he cut the copper lines.

Note that my new A/C has a two stage scroll compressor and the paperwork with the new unit very clearly says to not do that with this unit. Something about the type of compressor. So not all A/C's can be done that way.