Thread: Odd things in old magazines.

Odd things in old magazines.

Over the decades, I have picked up several old catalogs and magazines. The ads and articles I find amazing. A 1928 Popular science has numerous offerings of correspondence schools to learn "Aviation" and there are apparently big bucks in learning to repair radios. Also, Harley Davidson ads of a motorcycle hitting the open road loaded with camping gear, to expand your wanderings. A real kicker though is a 1938 Popular Science which contains a picture of a man in a suit holding a plate with a sandwich between two large electronic tubes and the caption indicates the man heats his lunch with radio wave.

Faming magazines of 1939 and 1940 warned of the coming war and the cost to American farm families. Shortly into the war, outdoor magazines contained ads concerning the shortage of small boats for the navy and asked civilians to donate their boats and outboards. a year later, families were asked to donate their family pets to the "War Dog Project" to be trained to assist US troops. Of course the promise of return after service was never kept. Scope companies took out ads saying while their products are not currently available to civilians, their military scopes are helping aviators sight and bomb the enemy to hopefully bring more men home safely and sooner rather than later. Same for gun manufacturers and ammunition companies. Of course their were the strange ads for Bibles in Tins that according to a testimonial saved a soldier from a Japanese Bullet.

I have 1900 era sporting catalogs and magazines. One of which contains a very strongly worded editorial about passing a waterfowl conservation and protection act in Congress. One old newspaper, dated early June 1876 contains an editorial about the coming US actions against the Indians of the northern Plains, warning that US forces and civilians should not underestimate the finest horse cavalry in the world, manned by the fiercest fighters who are so intimately familiar with their surroundings, fighting for their homelands and way of life. So very prophetic.

I have a December 1944 Pennsylvania Game News. The Cover is looking out a door window at a soldier coming home in time for the holidays, his hunting dog jumping at the door with excitement and his shot gun leaning against the wall waiting for that first hunt. The Battle of the Bulge started within a week after that magazine was published..

I have a 1939 local newspaper. A 6 cubic foot GE electric refrigerator was $779.00. A new Pontiac was $789.00. Local news society pages included the names of people who attended birthday parties and club meetings. Did you know, in 1939, there were so many homeless people migrating across the southwest and California, that some feared an armed uprising similar to the Russian Revolution.

I enjoy reading old advertising not only for the content, but the graphics.

While sorting through a dear friend's estate, I also sorted through all the items that belonged to her mother. I found a handbill dated August 17, 1825 for "Merchandize" suitable for the present and approaching seasons. It listed Bombazets and Bombazeens, Sarsnett Silks, Swiss Muslins, Horse & Dog Skin Gloves, as well as the basics of rock & rifle powder, salt, sugar, etc. I found a scanned image of the handbill at University of Georgia Digital Library
    https://dlg.usg.edu/record/guan_4299...25s3undersized

I also found a local Texas newspaper clipping for when my friend's mother went off to college in Wash DC in 1939. Below that announcement happened to be an advertisement for their hotel. You could "treat your wife tonight" to a "delicious man sized meal served family style" for 35 cents in the hotel dining room.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    ... A real kicker though is a 1938 Popular Science which contains a picture of a man in a suit holding a plate with a sandwich between two large electronic tubes and the caption indicates the man heats his lunch with radio wave.
    Fascinating! I did a bit of Googling and there seems to be interest in radio-frequency heating for food production and other heating going back what they called, 70-years. This article would pre-date that but that isn't surprising since Popular Science used to get early jumps on scientific developments.
    I recall, perhaps in the late 50's or early 60's about reading in Popular Science (IIRC) about a future thing, called cell phones. I remember a drawing showing a car going down a road with several cell towers along it and the transmission circles drawn around each tower and the article describing how the call would be passed from tower to tower. I believe it was the introduction of cheap(er), high-speed computer systems that allowed the concept to be realized.

Blog Entries
    Over the decades, I have picked up several old catalogs and magazines. The ads and articles I find amazing. A 1928 Popular science has numerous offerings of correspondence schools to learn "Aviation" and there are apparently big bucks in learning to repair radios. Also, Harley Davidson ads of a motorcycle hitting the open road loaded with camping gear, to expand your wanderings. A real kicker though is a 1938 Popular Science which contains a picture of a man in a suit holding a plate with a sandwich between two large electronic tubes and the caption indicates the man heats his lunch with radio wave.
    During the early part of WW II my father was a Navy instructor at Treasure Island (San Francisco area). He taught ship radio maintenance and repair. In his spare time he started a business of repairing radios. After the war he & mom had business selling radios, TVs and home appliances. Later they also sold furniture.

Before knowing much about the effects of close contact with radio waves the radar maintenance workers would place their arms in the path of the beam to feel if it was working. They also noticed when working near radar equipment, it could melt a candy bar in their pocket. This is supposedly how one of these technicians came up with the idea of a Radar Range, what we now call a Micro Wave Oven.

I have a Popular Mechanics Christmas Handbook (Late 1940s or early 1950s) with an article on how to build an electric train:

All Aboard.jpg

Since it was powered by plugging it into a wall outlet it likely would have too much liability for today's back yard builders.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Fascinating! I did a bit of Googling and there seems to be interest in radio-frequency heating for food production and other heating going back what they called, 70-years. This article would pre-date that but that isn't surprising since Popular Science used to get early jumps on scientific developments.
    I recall, perhaps in the late 50's or early 60's about reading in Popular Science (IIRC) about a future thing, called cell phones. I remember a drawing showing a car going down a road with several cell towers along it and the transmission circles drawn around each tower and the article describing how the call would be passed from tower to tower. I believe it was the introduction of cheap(er), high-speed computer systems that allowed the concept to be realized.
    Fiction, but the old Buck Rodgers had some futuristic stuff that is just now coming to pass. Around 1959, the Dick Tracey Comic strip got "pretty out there" with a travel pod that could take you to the moon, wrist watch video phones, etc. Then a few years later, Capt Kirk would tap the insignia on his shoulder and address the computer. for a couple years now some have had Alexa or it's competitor. My mother has only about 20% of her vision left and Alexa has been a great tool for her. She can ask for the weather, the news, asks it to call one of us kids, etc. It announces when some body is calling, or is coming to the door. It plays whatever music she may request.

https://archive.org/

Has nearly everything you could imagine.

Websites - books - old magazines.

Lots of fun to go through on rainy or snowy days.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon