Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miter saw station

Blog Entries

Miter saw station

Ran across a good one on YouTube yesterday, Tommy on This Old House concocted a miter saw station using two butcher block top tool cabinets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcYV...l=ThisOldHouse
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks for posting the video, I really enjoy watching Tom work. What is that threaded rivet thing called?
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Thanks for posting the video, I really enjoy watching Tom work. What is that threaded rivet thing called?
    It's a rivnut.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Definitely a good use of space and storage. And the mobility of something so large is great. A few years ago I got rid of my miter saw fence and now have it all run in the top. Now its never in the way and makes safer cuts on rough wood

Aren't those cabinets like $1,000 each? But hey, might be cheaper than building plywood cabinets these days.

They do pretty good for a couple of out of shape young guys.

https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in-...gaApwuEALw_wcB

I have one of those cabinets in the mechanic shop for automotive ac tools and equipment and other seldom used automotive stuff. The drawer slides work okay, but not built for use every day.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-22-2023 at 6:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Tool cabinets can be had for whatever you are willing to pay. Cheap Home Depot version, $295. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-42...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    NOW you tell me...

I have tool cabinets from the cheapest to good ones. Husky higher ends ones are good enough for every day use. The better ones from HF are very decent too. The cheapest ones from both places I would say the drawer use is only good for a few times a year use. Those are my personal opinions though. I have a top unit from Snap On in the early '80's that still works fine. A Craftsman from the same era was worn out long ago, but I still use stuff out of it. I have one top unit from Craftsman with the Smoky and the Bandit color scheme that must be an industrial version because it works really nicely still-came off CL.

For best value, the better Husky and Harbor Freight get my vote, and the last several have been either/or of those depending on the layout that suited my needs best. The Husky has self closing drawers, which are nice. The HF has to have the drawers physically pushed all the way in, rather than just shoving them in the direction of closing.

For a miter station, I would want better than the cheapest lines because to be worth having the drawers, they should be good ones.

That is a really innovative approach to a miter saw station. I had a couple of these same husky 46” boxes that I just gave to my SIL’s.

I would caution anyone who is considering this approach for a miter saw station to look at the depth of the cart. The cheaper 46” cabinets are 18” in depth and may not suit your purposes because of the foot print of your miter saw. I would consider the 24” version of the Husky cabinet.

Leveling/coplanar is also important if using two cabinets...hence, not keeping them on the wheels
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built this welder cart using the middle line Husky cabinet. I'd rate it a whole step above the Harbor Freight cheaper ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Aren't those cabinets like $1,000 each? But hey, might be cheaper than building plywood cabinets these days.
    I use one for a sharpening station. Got it on a sale at $269 IIRC.
    New Sharpening Station (13).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Off to a bad start saying he's using plywood as he cuts up OSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have tool cabinets from the cheapest to good ones. Husky higher ends ones are good enough for every day use. The better ones from HF are very decent too. The cheapest ones from both places I would say the drawer use is only good for a few times a year use. Those are my personal opinions though...
    For a miter station, I would want better than the cheapest lines because to be worth having the drawers, they should be good ones.
    Any tips on what to look for other than price? My local big box has less than 44" tool cabinets ranging from $169 to $1,300+.

Operate the drawers and compare flimsiness off overall construction.