Thread: Live edge slab table

Live edge slab table

I'm going to ask what may be a rhetorical question but here goes.
    Are there any decent looking designs for legs/bases for live edge tables, that aren't metal or make my want to puke?

90% of the slab tables I see have ugly metal legs, as if after dealing with a flat board of wood, they just couldn't possibly be bothered to craft some legs.

Has anyone seen any attractive wooden legs/bases?
    I appreciate any input you want to give, thanks

Go back to the source, George Nakashima, and use your imagination and design sense to come up with something new.

I did say it was most likely a rhetorical question

I'm just so sick of the "off the shelf" metal tubing or hair pin legs, which have unfortunately become the norm. I'll come up with something that's not steel.

Some nice ball-and-claw cabriole legs perhaps?

'live edge' is ultimately just a table top. The overwhelming majority of them have matte black bases, but you can build whatever you want to support the top. I think Martin Goebel had a live edge top with a trestle table base. I remember it had a wedged through tenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    'live edge' is ultimately just a table top. The overwhelming majority of them have matte black bases, but you can build whatever you want to support the top. I think Martin Goebel had a live edge top with a trestle table base. I remember it had a wedged through tenon.
    Thanks Patrick
    This is the direction I'm leaning towards. Some type of trestle leg assembly, there are lots of design options with that type of construction.

I guess it's just my own pet peeve that makes me view the bolt on metal legs as just a cop out
    Buy a slab, bolt on some pre=made legs and 'look, I'm a maker", give me a break.
    Half the time it just distracts from the wood since it can be a harsh transition.

I'm actually not really a fan of "live edge", but I think the base is really up to the maker. I would hazard to speculate that any type of a Mission, or A&C, base design would work well.
    I've made some live edge shelves for my wife. Very small, and they're on antique brackets she got on the 'net.
    I have another live edge project I'm working on, but it's just an extension wing for an industrial sewing machine table, and just happens to be in the pork chop shape I want. That's just me being lucky, and lazy.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)