Thread: FS: Harbor Freight Dust Collector $100 (Santa Clara, Calif)

FS: Harbor Freight Dust Collector $100 (Santa Clara, Calif)

I have a harbor freight dust collector for sale. 35 gallon, 2 HP, 5 micron (20 amp circuit recommended, but has standard 15 amp plug. This basically the same as the one they currently sell for $300.

Some background: I bought this maybe 5 years ago, worked fine for me. I re-arranged my shop, and after doing so, it would trip the breaker in the panel after 20 seconds of running. Doing some research, likely problem is either a bad starter capacitor (checked, not it), or the start clutch which engages that was not disengaging properly. I was in the middle of the project at the time and needed dust collection, so I just bought a Wen DC1300 as a replacement. When I finally got around to it and took apart the motor to see if the start clutch was stuck, there no obvious problem, I put it back together, and turned it back on and it ran fine. So my guess is that the start clutch was stuck in start mode. Since then, I've used it for a couple months, with probably 50+ on/off cycles and have basically filled the bag full of chips with no problems, so I'm highly confident it is will work fine for someone.

As an aside, the Wen DC1300 appears to be exactly the same unit, different paint job. If I had known this, I would have just bought a replacement motor. Harbor Freight does not provide spare parts (or even part numbers), but Wen does, and a replacement motor (PN DC1300-008) can be had for <$100. So even if the motor does need to be replaced, one is still getting a DC for <$200.

I'll throw in a brand new plastic collection bag. Pickup only, as I can't see it being cost effective to ship this. Currently assembled and being used so can demonstrate it. It would not be hard to disassemble it enough to fit into the back of a car.

Blog Entries
    I have replaced the on/off switch on my Harbor Freight DC twice in the nearly 20 years I've owned it. Both times I ordered it from HF. It's been awhile, maybe they stopped providing parts.