Thread: Common Use Cart

Common Use Cart

Im still building my cabinets. out of my 2 car garage shop and am running into the problem of space. I have workbench(seconds as outfeed), MFT, 2 utility carts, and the space to the right of my fence to work with. My miter station is covered with all my milled lumber. 1 utility cart is covered with 150 bf of walnut shorts. My current process is to bring 2 cabinet boxes to the garage and fit it with face frames and end panels, wood fill, and sand. My problem comes in when I only have 2 spots to put tools down and i'm constantly having to move them. I started an 18x24 cart that is 48" tall with casters. 1 side is all parallel clamps. the other has top shelf holds drills and misc, second shelf for hardware, then it splits to 2 sides left holds quick clamps right has a cubby for domino, and another large space im not sure of. The sides will hold hand tools and sander Im 3d printing hangers now. Im excited that I wont have to relocate the piles 3 times per cabinet, just roll the stuff out of the way.

I will put up a picture monday. Im not sure why it took me so long to think of doing this.

Blog Entries
    One of the trials and joys of our shop is that it is ever-evolving. Sounds like you've got another success story. I too enjoy having carts that allow me to change things depending on what I am doing. My father would use any and every flat surface for long term storage. The experience warped me and I now go nuts if a tool top has "stuff" piled on it for more than a short period of time . Keeping work areas open for work is a baseline rule for me.

Early on I was taught that one should have four square feet available near the work being done. This "material yard" is for bringing parts and supplies to and from the work, setting down tools, and so forth. A small roller cart serves this function very well.

In the quest for more room I often find storage in my shop where I didn't think I had any. Not sure about your wall or ceiling space but these can hold items and keep them out of our workflow. If you have high walls . . .
    Pipe Clamps (4).jpg
    These hang from rafters either at an angle . . .
    Clamp Rack Hip Roof.jpg
    or down from above.
    Long Clamp Racks 001.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-10-2023 at 9:55 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Walls are pretty full with french cleats/cnc machine/etc. The problem is more that I will need the item again in short time so putting hte items back on the wall or back in their drawers becomes a large amount of excess walking, reaching, and remembering wether I put it back or not.

Glen just don't be in the shop during a tremor. It's going to be raining clamps and logs in there.

A roll around utility cart like that can be pretty handy for sure. One thing to consider is maybe some lift-up panels that can make the top larger (or smaller when folded down) for more flexibility as you lay out the tools, etc., for whatever you're working on. It can let the cart be smaller for easier storage when not in use, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

20231121_131101.jpg20231121_131109.jpg20231121_131150.jpg20231121_131153.jpg
    A few more tool holders to 3d print
    Aside from the leftover piece of 1/4" that was a 1/4" shy on the width it came out OK. I also had to replace the wheels as the set I put on locked up almost immediately.