Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelix Install Question Dewalt DW735

Blog Entries

Shelix Install Question Dewalt DW735

Got the shelix head installed, pretty simple process but time consuming. Did an unplugged test and everything rotates just fine, nothing touching anywhere, spring tensions seem good on the rollers as well as the gears turning. However I was expecting almost whisper quiet when I turned it on, but it seems rather loud. I place a dB meter from phone close and it reads about 80 dB. I should have done this on the machine prior to installing the Shelix but I did not. Does this sound seem reasonable for this type of machine? Here is a short video clip. of it. https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au7QEkoWYw3Og-IIn5vEVGmU-XDIew
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Thought it was the fan that ejects chips that makes all the noise on the 735.
    Not so much the head even with knives that head is so small it’s nothing.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I'd also think that just running but not cutting any wood, the noise would not be very different. All the motors are still spinning, and I can't imagine the spinning cutter head would make a radically different amount of noise with helical cutters vs straight cutters when it is just going through the air.
    Now when the cutters are hitting the wood, I would expect a bigger difference in sound, and on mine, it is a different sounder with the helical vs straight cutter. Still noisy enough that I'm going to wear ear protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Good Luck
    Mine is removed. It's still loud.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Mine is removed. It's still loud.
    If it still had the fan it would be louder.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Good Luck
    The largest part of the sound level is from the universal motor...for some reason, DeWalt came up with an "exceptional screamer" on that particular tool!! This is been noted about the DW735 since it came onto the market many years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree, the biggest difference with the fan removed is that it overheats less.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I agree, the biggest difference with the fan removed is that it overheats less.
    Hmm, that's just opposite of what I've heard, unless you have super great DC. I've read several accounts that the ejection fan cools the motor by pulling heat out.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 10-27-2023 at 11:27 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

As Jim said the Dewalt 735 is an exceptional screamer. Great planer, but a screamer. I pulled the fan. Still screamed. People have put the shelix in, and still it is loud. When my belt broke for the second time, I decided to get the Makita planer. More expensive, less noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Hmm, that's just opposite of what I've heard, unless you have super great DC. I've read several accounts that the ejection fan cools the motor by pulling heat out.
    I am running a 6" line to a 4" drop, and pulling out of the top of the unit. Avoiding the entire weird bend and the entire stock chute. So, the fan was doing nothing but drawing amps.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

"...pulling out of the top of the unit ...avoiding the stock chute."

Perhaps you could provide a photo of your setup?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I can run a 5hp DC 4hp jointer someone can be grinding and it is still quieter than the 735. It is a great machine for the money. But no one will ever call it quiet.

Great planer: used it for many years. The one critical accessory:

[IMG][/IMG]

Phil,

I've been known to wear those even during glue ups because I forget I have them on

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Phil,

I've been known to wear those even during glue ups because I forget I have them on
    That just adds to the zen of your shop!