Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing cast iron saw top - marks go away? Wasting time?

Polishing cast iron saw top - marks go away? Wasting time?

I bought a used Sawstop and used Italian laguna. Both have lots of cast iron. My Sawstop I use as a glue table and it got bad. I scraped off the glue and used a burgundy scotch pad. Smooth like glass but the spots bother me. I tried down to 220g paper sanding disc that did nothing with a random orbital. I was sanding with wd40 and pb blaster.

Tomorrow actual silicon wet dry sanding discs come. Will these spots come out? I know if I just paste wax it will be smooth and functional. Part of me would like a uniform (minus big scratches) finish.

Why are you putting so much effort into removing these marks? You say they are smooth like glass so they won't be affecting the performance of the saw. Learn to ignore them and get back to making stuff. My 2 cents worth.

Get some boards and cut them up. That will fix it.

The top of my unisaw looks like a battle was fought there. It's smooth and silky though is all that matters. Those stains are not worth the effort to remove imho.

Enough effort and you will ensure that your top isn't flat anymore. I'd stop while you are ahead.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others, it isn't important to the function. Sanding the top can lead problems with flatness.

I've removed stains without affecting flatness by using fine sandpaper (600+) or steel wool and mineral spirits or wd40.

However, beware that these will introduce their own swirls (they do not affect the flatness), so you trade one imperfection for another.

You can eliminate those swirls with higher and higher grits of sandpaper but that has been above my level of commitment.

All I care about is how my Unisaw’s table looks from across the room when reflecting light from a window behind it. Glossy, slippery, and smooth. I don’t fret about the age spots on it, or on my hands, for that matter.

I believe the top would need to be reground to remove the stains. Find a machine shop.

Patrick, Patrick, patrick (as the nuns used to say to me, all-the-while shaking their heads) - used it as a glue table?

Best from another Irish Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Patrick, Patrick, patrick (as the nuns used to say to me, all-the-while shaking their heads) - used it as a glue table?

Best from another Irish Patrick
    Well, it is a very solid and very flat surface. And not everyone has room for a large assembly table. Maybe use a protective cover in the future?

> My Sawstop I use as a glue table and it got bad

You know most glue has water in it right? Cast iron and water are not good friends, even when the glue dries. In fact, they don't even like to be in the same space, so keep'em separated

Jokes aside, flat equals functional, so if you can't feel any raised edges from glue, etc., I'd never risk affecting the surface by doing something like sanding by hand. To lap it properly would require quite a bit of machinery, so you'd need to find a machine shop capable of doing that.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I do a lot of small glue ups and finishing on my Uni. I have a cheap plastic coated tablecloth that goes down first.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you didn't mind using a Saw Stop without a covering as a glue table, I'm surprised you care about the spots now.

I have actually been very successful using a green scotchbrite pad on a random orbit sander with WD40 as lubricant for the cast iron surface.