Thread: L6 30 Socket To Household 110V Plug?

L6 30 Socket To Household 110V Plug?

I have 30A 250 twist lock sockets in my garage however I no longer have any 220v machines. Are there adapters that will convert from 30A 250 to 20A 110v?

If there are, there shouldn't be, for obvious safety reasons. The L6 socket has 3 conductors - two hots and one ground, but no neutral.
    Last edited by Jim Morgan; 10-21-2023 at 7:10 PM.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

You'd also have to change out the breaker (30A -> 20A)

There is no adapter that will do what you want to do for so many reasons. As has been noted, the circuit can be converted to 120v 20a by replacing the double pole breaker with a single pole, moving the "white" wire to neutral in the breaker panel and changing the terminations to 120v receptacles. I will suggest you consider leaving the 240v 30a circuit in place as it might be useful in the future for you or whomever succeeds you in owning the property.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's a pretty simple conversion in the breaker panel and receptacle box. edited to take out incorrect sentence about an extra conductor not needed.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-22-2023 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It's a pretty simple conversion in the breaker panel and receptacle box. You will just have an extra conductor in those boxes that is not used.
    I believe that's a three wire 240v circuit, so no extra conductor. "Black" remains "hot", "white" transitions from hot to "neutral" and ground remains ground. In the breaker box the "white" gets moved to the neutral buss instead of connecting to the breaker.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You are correct, Jim. I had to look it up. I remembered L6 incorrectly as having a neutral. Maybe I can remember the difference between L6 and L14 now. The conductor size should fit pretty easily under the clamps on a 20 amp 120V receptacle, I would think. There might be an empty slot to fill in the breaker panel so an open hole is not left on the breaker cover.

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds doable, although I may need an electrician to see it through. Here’s the thing…I may get a J/P that runs on 110v. I also have a D/C running on 110v so I want to make sure they’re running on separate circuits. I already have a 220v receptacle in just the right place, so I came up with this idea. I have additional 220v receptacles in the garage, so losing one is no big. Thanks again for the help.

Might be simplest to change the Dust Control motor or the J/P motor to run on 240V, if it's doable in the motor, and you can just use everything you have there now. If it is, there should be wiring diagrams on the motor plate. If those diagrams are not on the motor plate, it probably isn't swappable. If it is, it just involves changing some connections in the motor with wire nuts. 120V and 240V since the 1930's here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Might be simplest to change the Dust Control motor or the J/P motor to run on 240V, if it's doable in the motor, and you can just use everything you have there now. If it is, there should be wiring diagrams on the motor plate. If those diagrams are not on the motor plate, it probably isn't swappable. If it is, it just involves changing some connections in the motor with wire nuts. 120V and 240V since the 1930's here now.
    Duh…why didn’t I think of that? I’ve done it before on other motors, I just didn’t think of that this time. I can switch over my bandsaw and DC, as well as possibly the new J/P. A much simpler solution. Thanks Tom.