Thread: Interesting optical sculpture.

Interesting optical sculpture.

I was literally gob-smacked when I first saw this. It’s a short Imgur.com video. https://i.imgur.com/M6pCasX.mp4 I had to go to Chat GPT for an explanation and then it made some sense. See below.

Yes, Professor Kokichi Sugihara is known for creating mind-bending optical illusions and has won multiple awards for his works. His illusions often challenge our understanding of perspective and geometry.

The illusion you described is one of his many "ambiguous objects." These objects use the principles of perspective and the way our brains interpret 3D objects from 2D images.

Here's a simplified explanation:

1. **Ambiguous Silhouette**: The shapes are designed in such a way that when viewed from one angle, their silhouette matches one shape (squares, in this case) and when viewed from another angle, their silhouette matches another shape (circles).

2. **3D to 2D Interpretation**: When we look at 3D objects, our brain interprets the information based on lighting, perspective, and our past experiences. Sugihara's sculptures manipulate these cues. What might be a curved surface can appear as a straight edge when viewed from a certain angle, and vice versa.

3. **Consistent Perspective**: The illusion works effectively because, as you mentioned, the viewer's perspective remains consistent when looking down at an angle. This creates the expectation of a certain shape, reinforcing the illusion.

4. **Hidden Geometry**: There are parts of the sculpture that are hidden from view based on the angle you're looking at it. This means you're not getting the full 3D picture of the object, only a 2D representation from a specific angle. Your brain fills in the blanks based on the information it receives.

These sculptures are crafted with precise calculations and often involve computer modeling to ensure that they can create the intended optical illusions. If you ever have a chance to see one of these in person or even a video, it's fascinating to watch the transformation as the object is rotated.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It's all about perspective! super cool!

Could be that there is some hypnotism involved ! Remember “ Mandrake gestures hypnotically !” , he worked in the Sunday comics.

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Could be that there is some hypnotism involved ! Remember “ Mandrake gestures hypnotically !” , he worked in the Sunday comics.
    Words to make it count
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    A very interesting video. That guy is talented and dedicated.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.