Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Incessant Fee’s, tip pandering, and Shrinkflation

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    OK, replace "feed their family" with "make a decent living"? I agree a system where waiters make a decent living and tips are a bonus for extraordinary service would be preferable but getting there from where we are now is not easy and probably not going to happen without a third party imposing a living minimum wage. I think many of the individual restaurants that have tried to make the switch have not been successful and switched back.
    I think it might be a bit like going metric, everybody has to get on board, i.e., all restaurants in the area have to do it. I wonder if non-tippers are a factor, meals are cheaper if you don't tip or have it included in the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I think it might be a bit like going metric, everybody has to get on board, i.e., all restaurants in the area have to do it. I wonder if non-tippers are a factor, meals are cheaper if you don't tip or have it included in the price.
    Yep...everyone has to play by the same rules or it won't work.
    Simple economics: Increase the pay of your workers so tipping isn't necessary. That increase has to come from somewhere, so the prices go up.
    Business falls off because some customers won't come back. With less business the owner has to let some workers go.
    Remaining workers have to work harder during peak hours and there are no tips to compensate for that.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Simple economics: Increase the pay of your workers so tipping isn't necessary. That increase has to come from somewhere, so the prices go up.
    Business falls off because some customers won't come back. With less business the owner has to let some workers go.
    Remaining workers have to work harder during peak hours and there are no tips to compensate for that.
    That's the problem, "people" are too stupid to understand that paying a little more for the meal and not tipping, gets them a less expensive meal in the end AND the waiter/waitress has a wage they can count on without a tip.
    Why on earth would I go back to that restaurant prices are too high.

I know it would only work if most people got on board and that's why it won't happen and why we have Incessant Fee’s, tip pandering, and Shrinkflation.

The math works, people are the problem

Eh, it's the same as not including taxes in a price. It's false pricing, and just marketing. It simply makes people think they're paying less.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    If you have fewer customers there should be less work for the remaining workers.

Blog Entries
    We took the Kids to the Olive Garden for the first time in over 5 years. I was surprised to see no beef on the menu. The annoying little computer on the table was something new as well. I yelled "stop" a little too loud as the sliding scale tip percentage and price calculator zoomed way past what I thought was a good tip. A compromise was reached at 23 percent and the young man got a $30.00 tip. I am not charging enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    We took the Kids to the Olive Garden for the first time in over 5 years. I was surprised to see no beef on the menu.
    Not really sure I needed another reason not to go to Olive Garden, but there it is.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    If you have fewer customers there should be less work for the remaining workers.
    Yes...but peak hours are still a problem...

I rarely go out to eat....maybe a dozen times a year if that. No food delivery at all.
    I cook my own...both healthier and cheaper, by far.
    So whatever way the tipping or non-tipping goes I will deal with it.
    I tip a minimum of 20%...25% is the service is exceptionally good.

So one of my "dining out days" is coming up on 11 Nov... a lot of [chain] restaurants have a "free meal" for veterans.
    I'll probably hit the IHOP in the morning for breakfast, and maybe the Red Robin or Macayo's for dinner.
    And yes, I will still tip based on the menu price of the meal, even tho' I didn't pay that amount for it.

On a positive note, Door Dash is adding a tip policy. If you don’t tip your order may be delayed. Hopefully, this is not offset by a decrease in the base rate drivers make.

I haven’t read every comment and hope I am not repeating someone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    On a positive note, Door Dash is adding a tip policy. If you don’t tip your order may be delayed. Hopefully, this is not offset by a decrease in the base rate drivers make.
    That has always been an unofficial policy by the drivers anyhow. The drivers get to pick and choose which jobs to take. Many Door Dash drivers have said they will chose which jobs to take by which job has the biggest tip listed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Is it lazy workers or a system that pays them less than a living wage so they must rely on tips to put food on their own table at home?
    I just LOVE the stupidity of the 'living wage' argument. You have the ability to CHOOSE to work in a job that pays you what YOU think is a living wage. No one is holding a gun to your head to work at a sub par paying job. Yes, there is an argument that there aren't enough jobs, but that is a fallacy. There are plenty of jobs available. If you can't make a living as a waitress, add another job. Work 60 or 80 hours a week if life requires it. And too many folks just "NEED" that cable, big screen TV, that New car, that xbox for the kids" (last one is my niece, kids have an nice brand new xbox and big tv, but don't own a bed, just mattresses. How STUPID)

And In MY lifetime, most waitresses and waiters, and ALL fast food workers were TEENAGERS or close to it. Now they are 40 year olds.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Yep. Because that's the way having a service economy works.

Teenagers having those jobs only became common with the baby boomers anyway.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    That has always been an unofficial policy by the drivers anyhow. The drivers get to pick and choose which jobs to take. Many Door Dash drivers have said they will chose which jobs to take by which job has the biggest tip listed.
    This is what irks me about this current tipping frenzy. If you have to tip before the service is even provided, it's not a gratuity for "good service", it's a bribe to get to the head of the line. When we order pizza delivery, our favorite place adds a service charge for the delivery and we opt to pay any additional tip in cash when the pizza shows up.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I just love the humanity of:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    If you can't make a living as a waitress, add another job. Work 60 or 80 hours a week if life requires it.
    Is working 80 hours a week just to make a living really living? Sounds more like barely surviving in the richest country on the planet.