Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pretty lucky guy...

I'd much rather have someone show their accident, explain why it happened even if they don't do a good job of explaining the correct way to do it, than have someone do something unsafe without an accident and let newcomers think they did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Therein lies the problem with many of them, the presenters are also in the camp of "simply don’t know".
    Too many of the YT folks (and others) just don't know enough or have experience enough to understand what could happen. If you don't know, well that's fine but then you have no business showing others how to perform the same task.
    Safety briefing? Understanding the capabilities and limitations of your tools? Basic understanding of physics? These are foreign concepts to some and the not knowing, can be quite dangerous, as we just saw.

This is the problem with YT and woodworking, not enough basic knowledge too much confidence.
    (the illusion of explanatory depth) it's a problem.

I wouldn't have such an issue if this was the first time this happened but repeating the same thing is inexcusable.
    This presenter acknowledged that this has happened to him before but not as severe, yet he still didn't change his methods and went about filming another video to share as normal.

Those who praise him do him no favors. He needs to be told by people that he'll listen to and understand what he did or he will eventually, seriously injure himself, no one want's that.

This is my professional opinion, feel free to scream and yell.
    Ah, well therein lies another problem. Jay believes pushing the handle first and then walking around the back side of the bandsaw to pull the cut through is "safe" but ask 10 other "experienced" people and you'll get 10 different answers. The woodworking and DIY'ing crowd is a difficult crowd to satisfy. It's filled with know-it-alls and people with extra self-confidence to do something DIY. Not saying that's always a bad thing, plenty of people here with years and years of experience, but sometimes it gets in the way of compromise. Not to mention super experienced people can make something dangerous for most, completely safe. Where do you draw THAT line?

Personally, I'd be using a block of wood with double-sided tape and possibly a dowel in the handle to eliminate rotation, but that's me. I guarantee someone here probably thinks I'm a moron for mentioning "double-sided" tape...can't please everyone I guess.

As for newcomers, if they walk away with one thing, and one thing alone, pushing something round through a bandsaw is asking for a bad day, period.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 10-11-2023 at 4:32 PM.

Therein lies the problem with many of them, the presenters are also in the camp of "simply don’t know".
    Too many of the YT folks (and others) just don't know enough or have experience enough to understand what could happen. If you don't know, well that's fine but then you have no business showing others how to perform the same task.
    Safety briefing? Understanding the capabilities and limitations of your tools? Basic understanding of physics? These are foreign concepts to some and the not knowing, can be quite dangerous, as we just saw.

This is the problem with YT and woodworking, not enough basic knowledge too much confidence.
    (the illusion of explanatory depth) it's a problem.

I wouldn't have such an issue if this was the first time this happened but repeating the same thing is inexcusable.
    This presenter acknowledged that this has happened to him before but not as severe, yet he still didn't change his methods and went about filming another video to share as normal.

Those who praise him do him no favors. He needs to be told by people that he'll listen to and understand what he did or he will eventually, seriously injure himself, no one want's that.

This is my professional opinion, feel free to scream and yell.
    I think the purpose of the video was to emphasize "pay attention", don't get distracted! Didn't he discuss that he had been running the boards differently, with a somewhat safer method? He then allowed his mind to momentarily wander from the task at hand and as a result flirted with disaster. Isn't that an important lesson?

I've also though the band saw was the safest power tool in the shop, and that it is pretty darn hard to hurt yourself on a band saw. After watching that video, I still believe that, but then again, cutting round objects that rotate brings a whole new level of concern.

Like others, I was pleased that the guy posted the video, if only to show what not to do. I only learn by mistakes--I rarely learn by doing something right, so this video was helpful.

Like others, I was not pleased that the guy did not post a proper way of cutting that round cutting board. I think I would have made a carrier out of plywood and dowels and some double stick tape to capture the round cutting board and to firmly hold it against the table and fence. I don't think his idea of reversing the cutting board would provide enough bearing against the table, but that's just me. $5 worth of plywood and tape would have made me feel safer, especially when he had a bunch of these things to re-saw.
    Regards,

Tom

Yes , it’s a pretty safe machine , but is too often allowed to be used by beginners without thorough indoctrination. But if you’re gonna
    ‘lose some weight…..it’s really quick !

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    I think the purpose of the video was to emphasize "pay attention", don't get distracted! Didn't he discuss that he had been running the boards differently, with a somewhat safer method? He then allowed his mind to momentarily wander from the task at hand and as a result flirted with disaster. Isn't that an important lesson?
    He didn't get injuried because his mind wandered.
    He got injured because he wasn't using a safe method of work.
    You can pay attention with laser focus but if what you're doing is inherently unsafe (as his method was, with zero safety precautions) it won't matter.

Simply paying attention is not enough, you need some basic understanding of why the method you're using is not safe before you start the cut, not after. That should be the lesson

As to people showing their accidents, fine but it needs to be explained thoroughly, properly and completely, otherwise there is no point.
    This guy is a perfect example.
    He seems to suggest he could simply turn his piece around and put the handle first through the blade, adding the needed support for the cut.
    This doesn't even come close to a full explanation of the issue.

This is a simple jig I use for cutting anything round on the bandsaw.
    2A4FC7DD-436D-4110-A8D3-74D0E97D254F.jpg

I dont sleep on the bandsaw. Personally know three people that have had serious injury. Just pushed their hand right through the blade (maybe slipped, but still...).

One was cutting up chickens at the fast food place. In those days they were timed and had a number to hit within a certain time. He said that policy was removed later but he has a funky finger just the same.

Round stuff has grabbed me before. I use a vice turned upside down whenever I can (limit on what size that works for)

In a management position I had to be certified in OSHA 30 & OSHA 10 & had to complete 60 minutes of safety training videos/quizzes weekly to keep my job & keep workers safe. IMO posting that video was a good thing and some good points made on "focus" & distraction. Could it have been better of course He should have started with a plan on that odd cut he was attempting and He would have ended up with some type of jig and much better approach. But I think viewing that violent accident is fantastic attention getter and will make a lot rookies & pros think twice next time they start up a saw. I do wish He came up with better plan than just turn the piece around. But over all a very good "lesson learned" video.
    Last edited by lou Brava; 10-14-2023 at 7:11 PM.

The big take away to me is that it clearly demonstrates that when an operation goes "wrong" it commonly happens so quickly that you can't possibly react fast enough to avoid a body part being bruised or worse. I've said repeatedly for a long time that ANY tool designed to cut or shape wood will easily cut flesh and bone as well. Not everyone who uses power tools necessarily have the common sense to realize what they are doing is risky.

I usually use v blocks. For a repetitive cut as in the video it would be worth making a cradle sized to fit the piece. The higher up on the curve the cradle supports the piece the safer. Any time there is no support directly under the cut there is a hazard. It's easy to ignore kickback on the bandsaw because square stock is safe, but you can get into trouble fast and the risk when the guard is raised up high is considerable. My bandsaw is the only machine in the shop that could actually cut off my head.

DSC_1504.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-15-2023 at 9:41 AM.

Make a sled and use it to clamp to if needed and round objects do need to be clamped when cutting on a BS. Why most BS users don't make a sled when they have one on a TS is one of life's mysteries.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Make a sled and use it to clamp to if needed and round objects do need to be clamped when cutting on a BS. Why most BS users don't make a sled when they have one on a TS is one of life's mysteries.
    It's not a mystery.
    Most times it's because their BS won't track straight so they can't use a sled.

It's not a mystery.
    Most times it's because their BS won't track straight so they can't use a sled.
    That is a problem, as simple as band saws are they confound a lot of people and a lot of old knowledge is simply not true. A few videos on using bandsaws, they are in Italian but the pictures tell the story. There is a lot of talk in the early part of the first video but I could listen to his voice for hours without understanding a single word.

A sled at about 6 minutes.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Thanks for the link, lots of great jigs and fixtures.
    I've always used a sled on my BS, don't know what I'd do if I couldn't. It would make lots of cuts more difficult, that's for sure.