Thread: Mission style frame and panel question

Mission style frame and panel question

I'm putting plans together for a mission style bookcase, stackable barrister-ish construction, white oak. The case ends will be frame and panel. My question is what a true mission style look is wrt the panel-side edge on the rails/stiles. I've seen many examples that are just a square edge vs round/chamfer/etc, and that is what I've come to believe is mission style. However I do find some examples claiming mission style with a round and ogee treatment. The square edge is a dust catcher and harder to clean corners of the panel. So I'm caught between wanting true mission style but also practical convenience.

So, what is the consensus view on mission style panels?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I like a plain panel. These folks have some great examples:

https://www.stickley.com/
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

There is no consensus, just “ my ways”. Mission is just , “If it’s good enough for the Alamo it’s good enough for me”. The whole idea
    was just to get people with low income in WW 1 war time to buy stuff. I consider the crate book cases that had a pretty good run
    “Mission Style”. Sack cloth suits are also “Mission Style”…. but currently OUT of style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I like a plain panel. These folks have some great examples:

https://www.stickley.com/
    Thanks for that link Rob. I'd forgotten about the Stickley site. Odd that it didn't come up in my search results.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher