Hi Sawmill Creek, i'm in the process of purchasing a single owner 1982 Powermatic 60 8inch jointer (metallic gold, green racing stripe). This will be my first time working with a tool older then I am and hoping for any advice/recommendations.

First, all parts are original and i would say as a whole it is 99% rust free/very well taken care of but the cutter guard was removed and lost by the original owner. Does anyone know where I could look to try and find a replacement (I tried calling Powermatic, the earliest cutter guard they sell is for a 2000's era machine). Alternatively are these cutter guards pretty standard, could i replace with one of the red plastic ones that are sold today?

Second, if anyone has a similar machine i was wondering what kind of mobile base you are using and if you like it. I also will need to add a dust collection shoot and curious if anyone has a link to something they have used.

I am planning to touch up anywhere the paints is chipped, upgrade to a link belt and helical cutter head, any other modifications you would recommend?

Appreciate it, i am really excited to have a larger piece of equipment that is american made.