Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding a minimax c26 genius combo (mini euro combo machine) to a shop full of tools

As mentioned a few times a key factor is the type of work you are or will be doing. While this machine has modest proportions it is nonetheless capable of handling many components for furniture projects. The ability to easily produce a straight line from a curved piece is one key advantage of a slider. Creating perfectly square crosscuts is never frowned upon and the slider saw makes this very easy. The ability, with the help of a Fritz and Franz jig, to safely produce items as small 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 inch is also valuable when working on small boxes. It all depends on the work you do. Bottom line from my perspective a small ma hine can be a very nice addition to your shop.

type of work always has a relation to the machines. If you do custom you will get lots of variety and need to be able to do more. I can think of past being hampered by the Excalibur sliding table on the General saw. That now would have been fine on this SCM slider. There are always ways to work around just less convenient. I was thinking both the two best germans I know had combos and both their kitchens were mortise and tennon and they worked that way till they died. They ran shops that were based on a larger combo at least their own shops, in industry one had off the map level of machinery. Unheard of these days.

Depending on the age, really check the switches. I bought a Lab 30 in the 90s that was sold as a Euroshop. The on/off rotary switch went bad. It is a stack of wafers with all plastic parts and replacement cost was quoted at $400. I bought a similar switch on EBay and with hours of reverse engineering got it to work. But a $500 machine is no bargain if it needs a $400 switch that is very likely not available any longer. The parts gal at Minimax was surprised she could get one, and that was probably 8 years ago.

I think the one thing you won't like is the rip fence. When I'm making furniture, I don't want to take the setting off the jointer to use the fence on the saw. On my machine, the Euro Shop, the American importer added a Biesmeyer clone rip fence on the saw. So when my day job added a Felder, I put a Biesmeyer on the saw too.

For $500, I'd buy it just to have a second machine. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the C26 which was purchased new more than a decade ago. I paid a lot more than $500. Anyway, it has been a great machine. Only real issue was sourcing a capacitor for the saw motor; SCM did not have any and claimed they could not locate any. I did find a source in England so bought a few extras.

As far as the jointer bed length, it is only an issue if you let it. I use roller stands when necessary and have jointed many long boards. I am a hobbyist so setup with the roller stands does not impact my timeline for projects. I would buy a C26 again without hesitation; it is a quality machine and performs very well.

richard made a good point I have two Invincible combos. Wiring on one was toast and new switches SCM was know past like 60 years ago for some bad wiring my view the wiring took out the switches as when I checked it I found wiring casing so broken down I have not idea how it had not shorted out in different places it crumbled in my hand.

the other one original wiring and original Danfoss switches that look Art Deco they are so old. These machines saw tons of use so much so that there is wear in a spot or two from having passed so many boards worst place start of infeed and end of outfeed just one more reason to get people to use support each side though few will put the use on a machine they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    For $500, I'd buy it just to have a second machine. LOL
    This ^^^

In the normal world, I would ask a LOT of questions of a prospective owner, since the C26 is such a tiny machine, but for $500, you can’t really go wrong unless there is something the seller isn’t sharing. Regarding availability of replacement switches, I wouldn’t worry too much abou that since the C26 still appears to be a current production machine. Even if you had to put another $500 into it, it’s still a bargain. That being said, I would make sure it’s not missing any fences or guards. Those can add up in a hurry. No lie: I’m not even a woodworker but if this were in Austin, it would be in my garage. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep