Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical code and others… public access

Electrical code and others… public access

Recent court case
    https://www.republicreport.org/2023/federal-appeals-couraffirms-the-right-to-publish-the-law/

One issue I have had in the past is having an electrical project that requires a city permit and must adhere to the city code and not being able to easily find the code.

In both my previous town in eastern Iowa and my current location in Des Moines the city code says something to the effect, “The city code of …. shall be the 20XX Revision of the NEC with the following adaptations.”
    They list the adaptations, but not the NEC.
    Until the last revision the National Fire Protection Association, the authors of the NEC and other building codes, denied free access to the codes. They sold the code books or online acces for $$, a lot of $$. So, the city would require you to follow the code, but not allow you access to read the code.
    Our public library had one copy in the reference section, often in use. Anyone using the NEC infrequently knows with all the cross referencing finding what you need could take a long time. Our library had a sign up sheet for its use.

The court ruled since it is used in city law, the printing of the code (edit: by a third party- in this case public.resource.org) is fair use and can not be a basis of copyright infringement.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 09-18-2023 at 10:03 PM.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

NEC and NFPA books are a money making scam. They do an excellent job keeping them current knowing that you will have to pay $150 plus per book per update. Been out of the safety department for almost two years now, prices most likely are higher now, what can you buy that's not?

Good luck with your issue. One thing to consider is most general issues rarely change so an older book/version might get you what you need in a pinch. Technology advances get alot of rewrites, hybrid car chargers for residential for example, didnt need that much in the 90's....

Take care,
    Chris

I agree with Christopher the Code books are a Rip Off big time. The NEC was a useful code at one time but now its got completely out of hand. The last time I took the test the NEC was less than $100 but now its a rip off price.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I haven't had any trouble finding the current IRC and NFPA codes for free online over the last 15-20 years. Never tried to look for or get the whole books, but have always found the chapters I needed. I never explored whether those sites were legal in terms of copyright before, but it seemed that some were hosted by city/state building departments.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I haven't had any trouble finding the current IRC and NFPA codes for free online over the last 15-20 years. Never tried to look for or get the whole books, but have always found the chapters I needed. I never explored whether those sites were legal in terms of copyright before, but it seemed that some were hosted by city/state building departments.
    That all fine but if your studying for the test you need to know the NEC like the back of your hand. Here you are allowed to put index tabs in the book your taking in for the test, Now the PV section almost requires a whole new book in addition to the main one.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Good point. The chemistry, physics, and biology texts that kids in my area need to buy average $150-200 each, with a few pushing $400, while similar texts for computer science run only $50-80. I'd think the code volumes would sell in much higher volumes than any of those, and hence should be cheaper. Still, with a "dime novel" paperback now pushing towards $20...

The NFPA has had free access to the NEC on their website for a number of years. Now, you cannot print it, or copy and paste from it, but you can read it.

Blog Entries
    There is always "Print Screen" as a last option.

Howard Garner

I think they may also restrict use of print screen somehow. Now, they cannot restrict use of a screen capture program as I have done it.

If you want NFPA and NEC codes to be free, how do you propose to pay the people who write the codes along with their support staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If you want NFPA and NEC codes to be free, how do you propose to pay the people who write the codes along with their support staff?
    Good question.
    Who pays to write the laws on speeding, burglary, copyright infringement? city parking ordinances?

If the government needs building ordinances, go about it in the normally prescribed manner. If the government wants to preempt the NEC as a way to establish these ordinances, then subsidize the NFPA for their time to research and develop them.

But once the government adopts the code as an ordinance, to deny access or allow only limited access without paying seems undemocratic.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Frankly, I don't give a hoot. Laws are supposed to be in writing and accessible to the public. I have believed for years that it was illegal just to refer to a private code without at least appending a copy to the ordinance or statute. I also have a problem with zoning laws being written in such gibberish so that only regular practitioners can figure it out. We have a constitutional provision requiring that laws can be illegal if too vague. The same should be true if the laws are so complicated that only the authors can figure them out. (like the 1700 page bill passed by congress that apparently only three people had actually read cover to cover. ) The organizations are welcome to their books and prices, but not if those books carry the force of law. Laws are to be available to the public for free. I have had to go to my local municipal office to look at ordinances, but at least most of the time, the entire ordinance was there for me to see. Ought to be the same for such codes.

Years ago, I read a local Pennsylvania town's ordinance concerning zoning for certain animal keeping. Their law actually referred to "the rules adopted by the Twin Cities Metropolitan Council" Asked the township secretary where to see that. She just had a blank stare. She called the township solicitor (attorney) and asked him where I could find it and what twin cities was it referring to. He didn't know. My client had been charged with violating a law against keeping a turtle as a pet. When we showed up for the hearing, the zoning officer who wrote the citation did not know where to find the actual Twin Cities Metropolitan rules, but had a printed pamphlet that said it contained a summary of the law. That was excluded as hearsay. Since no one could cite the actual rule, my client supposedly was violating, the case was dismissed.

Another local animal ordinance forbids the keeping of any reptile as a pet, unless the person has a permit from the state game commission. Except the PA state game commission has no jurisdiction over reptiles, the state fish commission does. So effectively, no one can get a permit from an agency that has no jurisdiction to give them.

A law should never be permitted to simply refer to the rules of a private organization to make that code have the effect of law, without also including a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Frankly, I don't give a hoot.
    So you don't give a hoot about public safety? If you can't attract qualified people to right the codes, the quality of the codes will suffer and people's safety will be endangered.

If you want to have a law. COMPLY WITYH THE RULES for such laws. Simple enough. A citizen should not have to pay $150 to find out if the law even regulates what he is doing. It claims to be a private organization, yet writes codes that are adopted as LAW all across the country. Many states have "open records" or "public records" laws that require such things be available to the citizens.

some 50 years ago, it was determined that a state court could not make a poor person pay filing fees for such things as a divorce or petition for child support. It is probably unconstitutional to make a person pay $150 to see what the law actually says. They figured out how to create this cockeyed system. Let them fix it so there is no burden to the citizens or public. They are also probably violating several anti monopoly statutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    If you want to have a law. COMPLY WITYH THE RULES for such laws. Simple enough. A citizen should not have to pay $150 to find out if the law even regulates what he is doing. It claims to be a private organization, yet writes codes that are adopted as LAW all across the country. Many states have "open records" or "public records" laws that require such things be available to the citizens.

some 50 years ago, it was determined that a state court could not make a poor person pay filing fees for such things as a divorce or petition for child support. It is probably unconstitutional to make a person pay $150 to see what the law actually says. They figured out how to create this cockeyed system. Let them fix it so there is no burden to the citizens or public. They are also probably violating several anti monopoly statutes.
    You didn't answer the question, I don't disagree that people required to comply with a code must have access to the code. How do you propose the code writers get paid? I would suggest that if you are a professional electrical contractor, or an electrical engineering design firm, part of your toolkit should be a copy of relevant codes, buying them is part of your cost of doing business. Not sure of the best way if you are an amateur doing a home renovation, what do you suggest? Perhaps access to an online copy of the relevant codes should be included in the cost of your building permit?