Thread: Lacquer Finish Top on Poly Base

Lacquer Finish Top on Poly Base

Can I finish a tabletop with lacquer and mount it on a base that is finished with water based polyurethane or is there some kind of problem that could happen with the lacquer? Hope that doesn't sound stupid.

Eddie

With waterborne lacquer, such as Target Coatings EM6000 you'll be fine with some abrasion to prepare the surface, although a very thin sprayed barrier coat of was free shellac isn't a bad idea to be sure for adhesion. But putting solvent based lacquer (don't use if you don't have proper facilities and PPE for safety reasons) will potentially lead to a real mess when the solvent potentially eats into the underlying finish you already applied.

That all said, I can't see any good reason to do this...just continue with the waterborne product you're already using.

EDIT... because I'm an idiot, I missed the point of your question entirely in my original reply. Yes, there is zero issue with putting a top and base together when they are finished with different products. That's honestly pretty common....
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-18-2023 at 9:30 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds like you have two different pieces, top and base. I don’t see any problem
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution