Thread: VFD input

VFD input

Hi All,
    I want to replace my Siemens VFD for a easier to program unit. Any recommendations for a VFD for a 5hp 3ph motor on my 36" bandsaw?
    Many thanks,
    Ken
    Corrales, NM

Nowadays whatever you can find. Or you will need to wait.

When I purchase Fans or pumps that require VFDs I pay for startup/programming. It may cost $500 bucks but that is cheaper then replacing what you have.

What programming is needed?

What do you need. Slow start, reverse lockout. variable speed? braking? remote control panel(s). I very much doubt you want PLC control.
    Post model number and we can walk you through programming.
    Bill D

Like this? page 37 on,
    https://sid.siemens.com/v/u/A6V10301738
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-08-2023 at 12:40 AM.

https://www.amazon.com/HY-HUANYANG-V...904010ad0&th=1

If all you want is for the motor to turn when you press the start button then this should do the job. No fancy programming needed. The instructions are downloadable... I would suggest doing so before you order one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Reidy View Post
    ... easier to program unit. ...
    I've commissioned a lot of VFDs... from 230V fractional Hp to 4160V 2000Hp. All require basic motor data to be entered (programmed) as 'parameters' into the drive - Hp, volts, Hz, amps, rpm. Most, if not all, will then operate using the front-panel keypad/buttons. And you can be done.

There can be from 150-ish to 1000+ parameters in a VFD, and you can ignore all but the 4-6 I referenced. The other parameter's default values allow the VFD to run as-is.

The access, display, and editing of parameters can be different for each manufacturer, and all can be a bit intimidating at first. Differences are usually minor - i.e. which key combinations 'get you into' the programming mode, but I doubt any will seem 'easy' on the first attempt.

Or, you can go to town and tie in existing on/off switches, speed control based on the tides, skip frequencies that annoy the dog, and even run at 400hz. If you want. Just be aware that a given 'feature' you want to enable may require changes to more than one parameter.

So as others have posed, beyond 'run' and 'stop' for a bandsaw, what do you want it to do?

(Like Mr. Yetka, you can also search for a local System Integrator ("automation and controls", "PLC", or "control design"). They can send an engineer or control tech to do startup for you. If you do the basic wiring, I'd expect it to take ~1-2hr with rates at ~$150/hr + T&E. Depending on your location, I might be able to refer you to one?)

ETA - Maybe too obvious, but the high-end industrial VFDs (Allen-Bradley, GE, Siemens, Toshiba, Yaskawa, etc.) will have better tech support. And cost to match.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 09-08-2023 at 10:30 AM. Reason: clarity

I used an ATO VFD for my dust collection system and it did not require many programming settings changed.

https://www.ato.com/5hp-vfd

For a simple setup, you really only need to change the max drive frequency:

P0.06 - Max output freq. - 60.00 Hz (factory default 50.00)

Optionally, you could reduce the acceleration time if you wanted:

P0.17 – Acceleration Time (factory default 20 seconds)
    P0.18 – Deceleration Time (factory default 20 seconds)

There will be some engineering required if you want to use the VFD to help "brake" the bandsaw motor upon shutdown. I cannot help with this.

The adjustment knob potentiometer on the front of this unit actually works. The problem with some of the Chinese VFDs you find on Amazon is that the adjustment knob doesn't do anything at all (essentially, it's not connected to anything internally), so you have to adjust speed/settings using push buttons.

I bought a cheap Huanyang off of amazon to run my 5hp 30" Tannewitz. Works great. Then, I special ordered a second Hanyang that had motor braking enabled and hooked up a braking resistor. It worked pretty well, but I don't think it was using the brake resistor, because I couldn't feel any temperature change in the resistor. Then, it crapped out. Not sure why. Now, I am back to the original one...

I would replace it with a higher quality unit that offers motor braking, if there is a such a thing. So I am anxiously watching this thread.

Aaron-does the PO.18 deceleration time on the auto unit offer any real braking? There is definitely a lot of energy in my saw to dissipate. 20 seconds would be just fine.

In my experience with VFD's in HVAC commercial bldg's. you can buy a cheap VFD and then add a brake or you can buy a good VFD, cost is the same. Lot less aggravations with a good VFD. I prefer Johnson Controls Inc. for AHU's
    Ron

Scott - many of the Chinese VFDs on Amazon do not actually have a working "braking circuit", even though they have the connections.

As far as I can tell, the ATO VFDs do have a braking circuit. You will have to connect the proper size resistor between the P+ and PB terminals (based on actual motor HP). See page 21 (correction) of the manual:

https://www.ato.com/Content/doc/gk30...ser-manual.pdf

-Aaron
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 09-08-2023 at 8:35 PM.

[QUOTE=Aaron Inami;3273331]Scott - many of the Chinese VFDs on Amazon do not actually have a working "braking circuit", even though they have the connections.

One of my no name ebay special Hung yang has braking terminals but no wires or circuit traces connecting them to anything.
    Rule of thumb is most devices do not like acceleration or deceleration under three seconds. For a big bandsaw I would go longer like ten seconds.
    BilLD