Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Patent Ending ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't know what the time frame is relative to the US patent expiring and I believe there may be ways to extend, if I'm not mistaken..
    Jim, my lawyer friend says that there is no extending a patent beyond the date it has been issued. There are “continuations” (I think that’s the word he used) that can be used to add a few months or sometimes a year or thereabouts, depending on additional claims and how long it took to approve them. But, they add to the existing patent and cannot extend it much beyond the 20 years. There are a few special exceptions but I don’t think SawStop is all that important to the US government

Patent expiration (2021)

The SawStop patents began to expire in September 2021.[27] Sawstop holds around 100 patents, though many of them are continuations of the early Sawstop patents. The continuation patents may expire later than the "parent" patent due to patent office delays. Some Sawstop continuation patents expire as late as May 2026.[28]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SawStop

The Wiki article is a fairly good summation.

'Build it and they will come.'

Patents ... I remember *something*, I think shooting related from years back.

'The community would have happily made him a millionaire if he'd just delivered the product instead of spending his time suing everyone who he thought was infringing on his patent.'

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If Sawstop's main concern was to make table saws safer why did they sue Bosch over their Reaxx technology? Methinks profit is their main concern.
    Because it is. The guy that owns the tech is not the inventor. He's a patent troll lawyer that bought it up and then sued the industry for not using it. He whipped up legal actions claiming that all the manufacturers knew or should have known that their products were defective and inherently dangerous because they didn't use his tech. It was a circus, I'm looking forward to SawStop having some competition.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/sa...antitru-33197/

https://www.hbsdealer.com/news/sawst...nies-dismissed

https://www.cosgravelaw.com/uploads/2014/07/SawStop.pdf

https://www.aboutlawsuits.com/dewalt...hnology-81828/
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Both SCM and Felder now offer saw stopping systems that use different technologies that don't wreck your blade when they activate. Good to see innovation in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Methinks most companies have profit as their primary concern. There is nothing wrong with that.
    I agree and it is the root of capitalism!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Because it is. The guy that owns the tech is not the inventor. He's a patent troll lawyer that bought it up and then sued the industry for not using it. He whipped up legal actions claiming that all the manufacturers knew or should have known that their products were defective and inherently dangerous because they didn't use his tech. It was a circus, I'm looking forward to SawStop having some competition.
    "That guy" sold the company and assets years ago to the parent company of Festool, Tanos and several other brands. This was after the incidents you mention, AFAIK. I mentioned this earlier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Both SCM and Felder now offer saw stopping systems that use different technologies that don't wreck your blade when they activate. Good to see innovation in this area.
    I'm glad to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "That guy" sold the company and assets years ago to the parent company of Festool, Tanos and several other brands. This was after the incidents you mention, AFAIK. I mentioned this earlier.
    Sorry Jim, I missed that.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    ooooo... this is a "first time" for me. Is it as good as the IMAX?
    Better. Note that Jim - in his role as mod - hopes to go a few days before the thread gets locked. Think about the implications.

In the bygone days, SS threads were like WWE tag-team matches, but without the rules. And often did not last the day.

Various factions: free market; hug your neighbor; moral; immoral; never-give-up-my-Unisaw [that's me]; ignore the tech - it's a solid saw in its own right. Factions made common cause and joined, then broke apart. 80% emotional, 5% rational, 15% watching from the cheap seats.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Various factions: ... 80% emotional, 5% rational, 15% watching from the cheap seats.
    You have succinctly captured every public conversation in the last (insert time interval*). Well done!

*- TOS precludes me from providing time interval.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    ooooo... this is a "first time" for me. Is it as good as the IMAX?
    In the day it was pretty close. They (moderators) don't allow much fun these days. Probably for the best.

On a side note while I detest the methodology the SawStop founder employed trying to strongarm the industry I did pickup a used PCS myself. The saw works great but so do many many other cabinet saws. The safety feature is a plus and I was mainly thinking of grandkids being in the shop with me.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    What the SCM offering? The Felder model relies on cameras and comes in at around $100K for the saw. I think that's outside the reach of most people here.

Also I agree we are unlikely to see much price difference. You can see that with the pricing for track saws, or how the Bosch version added about $800 to what was a direct copy of their regular job site saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    You have succinctly captured every public conversation in the last (insert time interval*). Well done!

*- TOS precludes me from providing time interval.
    You're welcome. I'm all set for the show.

Popcorn.jpg
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    …The Felder model relies on cameras and comes in at around $100K for the saw…
    Are you thinking of a different brand? The Felder PCS uses the same triggering means as the SS (completing an electrical circuit), though the blade stopping technology is totally different. Also, Felder saws with the PCS system start at around half that price. Can’t speak for any other vendors but Felder is marketing these to production shops, not hobbyists. Apples-to-oranges to the average SS buyer and I assume all the slider companies know that.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    im saving for the Altendorf. Might have to start a go fund me.
    I love that Altendorf's approach does not result in destroying the blade when triggered. Their camera based optical system is a variation on the autonomous driving technology that Tesla has embraced which is also based on cameras.
    I'm not sure whether it is only available on the sliding saws or whether they have built it into traditional cabinet style table saws also.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 08-25-2023 at 5:50 PM.