Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Patent Ending ?

Sawstop Patent Ending ?

Disclaimer: I own a sawstop.

They posted on IG that they want to make table saws safer. It got me thinking that if they truly want to make table saw’s safer than they should make their technology license available to other companies. Not happening.

So when would their patent expire? Its be almost 20 years? No?
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Pandora.jpg

Don't do it, Pandora - don't open it!!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    They initially shopped the idea around to the big makers wanting to license the tech . . . no takers. Took their ball and went home . . . and made them themselves. Maybe their offer stunk(?). I don't think they wanted to be a tool maker. Plenty of spin and opinion. It was ugly if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-24-2023 at 6:29 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    They initially shopped the idea around to the big makers wanting to license the tech . . . no takers. Took their ball and went home . . . and made them themselves. Maybe their offer stunk(?). I don't think they wanted to be a tool maker. Plenty of spin and opinion. It was ugly if I recall correctly.
    Good summary. A friend of mine is a patent lawyer and woodworker and says several of their patents have already expired as early as 2021, but there are several continuation patents that extend to 2024. His take is that in the next year or two we might see other OEMs with big pockets that are willing to sift through the SawStop patent family and decide if it's worth the battle to start developing something of their own or using the expired patents as leverage to license something directly at a much better price.

Personally, I'd like to see the tech make its way into more saws, especially lines that are more affordable to a larger group of people.

If Sawstop's main concern was to make table saws safer why did they sue Bosch over their Reaxx technology? Methinks profit is their main concern.

Methinks most companies have profit as their primary concern. There is nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If Sawstop's main concern was to make table saws safer why did they sue Bosch over their Reaxx technology? Methinks profit is their main concern.
    Gosh Doug, no one has ever said that before! LOL Here we go, first shot fired by the other side. Let's start a betting circle. I'm taking 10 pages of comments.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-24-2023 at 7:57 PM.

Yep. I tried to warn him not to open the box

Might as well get the popcorn out and enjoy the show

im saving for the Altendorf. Might have to start a go fund me.

I don't know what the time frame is relative to the US patent expiring and I believe there may be ways to extend, if I'm not mistaken. There is additional complexity here in that the ownership of the company changed sometime ago to the parent company of Festool and Tanos as well as a few other brands. They may have completely different feelings about the technology from the original owner. So do not make judgements based on past actions by the previous/original owner.

And yea...keep it civil and on-topic so that this thread can live for a few days...speaking as a moderator.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do not think I would buy a knockoff SS cartridge made in china by a no name company.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Yep. I tried to warn him not to open the box

Might as well get the popcorn out and enjoy the show
    ooooo... this is a "first time" for me. Is it as good as the IMAX?
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 08-24-2023 at 9:34 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Lol, love this topic.

A free marketeer no doubt uses gray area legal techniques to pad his wallet for a few more years. How the heck did that happen?

Anyway, here's to hoping other manufacturers get in on the action at some point. I don't have any faith in this, but I do hope.

Serious question: Hypothetically the patents all expire tomorrow. Who's going to make the knock off SawStop cabinet saw? I'm honestly not sure that the patents expiring is going to help it. Pretty much everything is made in china, and they don't innovate much. Bosch was only going to sell a jobsite saw, not a cabinet saw. Maybe Harvey?

As mentioned, I don't begrudge them for trying to make their money after they bet on themselves. Also, easier to swallow since they make a solid product and have historically had very good customer service.

As for "putting it in other saws", I do wonder whether someone could actually do so and come in at a (substantially) lower price point. We assume the answer is yes, but that may not be the case. That being said, it would be nice to have in other premium saws that provide some different options.