Thread: trestle table questions

trestle table questions

My wife and I are getting old enough that carrying the extensions for our current dining table up and down the stairs to stow them has become a chore. I am considering building a butterfly extension trestle table.

She wants the top to be elliptical and a contrasting outward-curving base would look nice with it. With the foot of the base curving outward, how would one mill/carve the vertical portion that is 24" or so high to match the curvature of the foot?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I’ve done that sort of thing by coopering boards together. The boards run vertically, and the edges are beveled, so that when you glue them together you get a curved panel.

I dont know what your table looks like but could you make a bracket that holds them and store them under the table?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I dont know what your table looks like but could you make a bracket that holds them and store them under the table?
    There isn't a really good way of doing it without making them visible.

A couple years ago when I was ordering hardware for an end table form Lee Valley, I found a hinge for a butterfly extension table so I ordered it as it was relatively inexpensive. As we age both my wife and I are getting weaker so the butterfly extension table with its counterbalanced wings easily remedies the situation.
    Ken

Here's a pic of a dining table I built. The trestle base ends are coopered, so that they're concave outwards. The top is boat-shaped. The wood is bigleaf maple.

diningtablesmall.jpg

Jamie,

That is very similar to what I want to do on the base. It looks like coopering would achieve my goal.
    Ken