Thread: Results from using Tormek fixture to sharpen 12" planer and jointer blades

Results from using Tormek fixture to sharpen 12" planer and jointer blades

We lost the last commercial grinding service in our region last October. When I recently saw a Tormek blade fixture on eBay at a great price, new in box, I spent the $150. I do have a 10" 1200 grit CBN wheel on the Jet machine. First setup took a bit to hit the perfect spot in the center of the bevel, but by the time I did the third blade, it only took 2 minutes and 40 seconds to get a shaving quality single 12" blade done. I put a few strokes on a water stone to cut off the burr from the back and then a few strokes on the front. Of course this isn't a cheap option if you don't have a Tormek or Jet, and the wheel is now $230 by itself, by I'm extremely pleased! No more $30 round trip shipping and $27 sharpening charges. Turning 71 next month, I doubt if I do enough blades to pay off the investment, but I sure do love fresh blades in a jointer!
    IMG_2892.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-23-2023 at 8:56 PM.

I also use a Tormek to sharpen my jointer knives. I do send my blades back to my local saw service after 2 or 3 Tormek grinds. My experience is the bevel angle gets away from and the it’s not easy for me to keep the edge Straight. I use the Black stone.
    My hss is T1 and M2.
    Good to hear your success Richard
    Aj