Thread: Black streaks in wood

Black streaks in wood

Hi all,

I bought a couple of pieces of wood at a local sawmill but they have these black streaks running through them after I plane the surface. The wood was kiln dried before I bought it. I’ve had this issue with cherry and beech now from the last purchase I made there. Is this an insect or what’s causing the streaks? I ended up using the cherry as practice for dovetails (initially was going to build a box). Pictures below

IMG_0818.jpgIMG_0819.jpg

Thanks

luis

That's spalt, deteriation caused by fungus. Some people pay extra for that! But I would generally avoid it for furniture/cabinets, unless you can feature it somehow.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    That's spalt, deteriation caused by fungus. Some people pay extra for that! But I would generally avoid it for furniture/cabinets, unless you can feature it somehow.
    Thanks for letting me know! I like spalted maple (but it seems more muted in the woods I've seen) but didn't realize it could occur in other woods too!

Yes, spalting can happen in a wide variety of species. It's typically more prevalent from logs that were left on the ground longer before milling and drying.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It can also be mineral streaks or gum spots. We'll need pictures to be specific. "Dark streaks that extend for several inches can be associated with the gum spots. Gum spots can be larger, and sometimes gum even follows an entire growth ring around the tree. These spots are caused by wounding or by a peach bark borer, which feeds on the tree cambium. The cambium responds by forming the gum spot."

Richard, there are photos in the OP. You'll need to become a Contributor to see them. They clearly show it's spalting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Richard, there are photos in the OP. You'll need to become a Contributor to see them. They clearly show it's spalting.
    Sorry Jim.