Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reconditioning outside platform questions

Reconditioning outside platform questions

We have a very large outside pressure treated platform that has been painted in the past, many, many times. Paint of course is now loose and scaling. If the deck was in perfect shape, I'd rent a floor sander and have the job done ASAP. But it's got various issues that won't accommodate a sander. Ideal solution would be some machine like a floor buffer with a moderately aggressive wire brush to run over the surface. Know of anything like that available?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

How old is the decking since it's been painted many many times? What you are suggesting might just blow up the wood. There are siding planers that mill off the paint, at least there used to be before vinyl siding.

Use 1/4 inch tempered Masonite covered with canvas and paint with exterior floor paint. It’s been done many times over decades and ,
    works. Yeah, you won’t find it in the new magazine’s, they want new stuff….doesn’t have to be good …just NEW !
    Should have a little slope .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Use 1/4 inch tempered Masonite covered with canvas and paint with exterior floor paint. It’s been done many times over decades and ,
    works. Yeah, you won’t find it in the new magazine’s, they want new stuff….doesn’t have to be good …just NEW !
    Should have a little slope .
    Since the OP referred to the structure as a 'deck' I assume it is outside exposed to the elements. Is tempered Masonite waterproof? Even painting won't keep out all the water.

Yes, it's an outside deck exposed to weather all year. Decking is in reasonably good shape except for the peeling paint. At this point we're probably going to get a work party and try using scrapers by hand.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

How about power washing it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    Yes, it's an outside deck exposed to weather all year. Decking is in reasonably good shape except for the peeling paint. At this point we're probably going to get a work party and try using scrapers by hand.
    You'll need a lot of beer to market that concept!

What fasteners? Here for docks on the lake we turn them over when the tops start to check badly, and get another decade out of them. If you can turn them over and install with screws a little below the surface it can be sanded. We often need to replace a few boards when doing this, but it will still last a long time, and much cheaper than replacing the whole top. I use a floor buffer with 80grit sanding screen to sand them after the new surface is up.

This would eliminate having to deal with the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Since the OP referred to the structure as a 'deck' I assume it is outside exposed to the elements. Is tempered Masonite waterproof? Even painting won't keep out all the water.
    Tempered Masonite is pretty durable, and even a slice of white bread ain’t gonna go bad packaged in painted canvas . It’s like Corvette
    fiber-glass …only stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    How about power washing it ?

If the paint is loose, it will make a very large field of paint chips, semi impossible to clean up. Ask me how I know...

I can picture the mess a regular power wash nozzle would make but I wonder of one of those surface cleaning attachments for a power washer would contain the mess. Tried to post a picture of one but the site kept converting it to text and exceeding the text limit?

That sounds like a good idea for quarter- sawn stuff, but not for slab-cut ,which will often have have a lot of pop-up sharp edges on the
    concave grain side . But leather pants and non bare feet will make it work.

Tempered board is pretty tough and hard. The cloth filled with paint will protect like 5 mil plastic, but for a much longer time.

My first attempt would be to try something like the restorer Rockler has one but I believe they were originally PC. If that wasnt cutting it I would remove the boards and run them though a drum sander if the wood was in decent shape. Depending on how long the paint has been chipped up you may not be able to safely powerwash. I would check the wood before starting that.

How big is this platform?

Without a picture, not really possible to make a good suggestion.