Thread: My method of sorting bits.

Blog Entries

My method of sorting bits.

A long time ago I asked how people deal with bits. This is my solution. I'm not saying it's a gold std but it has worked pretty well for me. I've been to a lot of houses with this and it is pretty efficient.

I got the black bit holders off Amazon. The blue ones came from the original set years ago. Probably kobalt considering the color. But I have no idea. The hard cloth case was in the electrical aisle at HD.

Anyway, share what you do. Criticize what I do. Just sharing for ideas. This case fits really well into my soft shoulder bags as well.

Cheers

20230810_110846.jpg

20230810_110904.jpg

20230810_111401.jpg

All my screwdriver tips are in a very small cardboard box that is usually on an OSB shelf in the shop, except when I wander off with it. When I want a bit I take the box off the shelf and peer gloomily into the inky shadows in the depths of the box while occasionally poking the bits around with my finger or shaking the box. After a while I usually find a bit that is somewhat close to what I had in mind, and then I put the box back on the shelf and shuffle mournfully back to whatever futile task I was unsuccessfully trying to accomplish.

I don't use the short bits that need to fit in something if I can help it. The ones in my truck stay in a little Pelican case. It stays closed no matter what unless you want to open it, and the latch is easy to operate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I keep the basic dozen or so in a coin purse in my pocket. The situation with the proliferation of drivers is out of control- don't get me started. In the truck there is an assortment of tips in holders, and a box of random ones. The other day I had to dig deep for a T10 bit.

The shop has a random collection, but there are also multiple impact drivers- one with #2 phillips, & one with T25 Torx or whatever.

I like the insert tips for better magnet holders. Some are crappy. A while back I figured out a good bit holder and got a bag of 25. They are all in use.

Between job sites, truck and shop there are 6 cordless impact drivers and 9 cordless drills, all Makita.

There are other peripheral stashes of bits, but these are the main ones.

IMG_4379.jpegIMG_4380.jpegIMG_4381.jpg
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 08-10-2023 at 10:31 PM.

A tip for those who quickly need to identify different types of bits, I used different colours of shrink wrap to quickly identify Phillips from Pozidrive and the same could be done for any bit type. Even if they are all thrown loosely into a box colour is easier to see.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening