Thread: Glue....not for structural or load bearing applications?

Glue....not for structural or load bearing applications?

Can anyone clarify this for me. In digging out my Titebond II from storage I read on the label that it says "...not for structural or load bearing applications".

In building my torsion box (that you folks kindly helped me with, thank you) I was thinking that the box could be used on saw horses. This would, obviously, turn the torsion box into a load bearing torsion box. Is this not recommended?

OR, are the labels just referring to construction type structural loadbearing?

I have to believe that WWing glues, used according to manufacturers specs, have to have some structual strength to accommodate entertainment centers and other heavy applications.

Thanks very much.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

For woodworking projects, your just fine. Dont worry about it. For other applications that are load bearing, if you have any questions, please consult a registered engineer. Load bearing refers to stuff like glu-lams, etc. Usually a load bearing application is one in which a failure can result in significant loss of life and or property.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Ok, that's what I was wondering. Thanks Dev.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Glue for structural strength

[QUOTE=Mark Rios;291933]Can anyone clarify this for me. In digging out my Titebond II from storage I read on the label that it says "...not for structural or load bearing applications".

Response: I've never used glue for anything but structural strength. Who would even consider a glue that had none? Many of the warnings on product packaging respond to legal worries rather than useful advice. Chairs, ladders, desks, furniture: all have one thing in common, they bear structural loads and stresses. Sometimes for hundreds of years. If one uses Titebond III to build an outdoor picnic table, then that is a structural application. More specialized glues and adhesives are essential for aircraft, cars, etc. Woodworkers need not be as concerned.

I've asked glue company reps and they said that tests for that stuff are done by Independant companies that charge a lot.
    Since they don't see that use as a big part of their market they just give that warning . Tests have to be hot and cold,wet and dry ,and on and on.

It's a liability deal as well. Like Mel says Independant companies that charge a lot could certify the glue for xyz. Then an xyz fails and causes death or injury. Titebond gets an EXPENSIVE lawsuit.

As it is it costs nothing to say
    "...not for structural or load bearing applications".

However here's a true story. My home is one big open space with lofts. I designed it, but to get a permit the city said I needed engineer stamped drawings. I was lucky and found an engineer whose specialty was truss design. My roof is held up by one huge truss in the middle. My engineer designed and built it onsite himself. He used Titebond II.

Do I trust me and my loved ones lives to the glue. Yes, but not just the glue. Here's the rest of the story.

5 years after we moved in the engineer dropped by to see his finished truss in place. The house is modern with lots of exposed industrial details. The code that we met said the building must resist 90 mph winds, an earthquake and 5' of snow. We're looking up at the truss, 30' up in room and I said "The code says 90 mph wind, earthquake and 5' of snow. I asked is that all at the same time?''.

The engineer said " yes, we know the wind would blow the snow off and the chance all 3 would ever occur at once is really rare" He said " not only that, we overbuilt it. You could have all 3, wind, earthquake and snow all happening and raise a 1.5 ton truck from the middle of the truss without collapse "
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 12-05-2017 at 1:01 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Adhesives have no properties to give it structural strength by calculation, i.e. a steel beam has certain structural capacity at a certain depth, width, length, etc. Adhesives are usually tested and tested and then a average used, i.e. Hilti adhesives have extensive testing, and if installed per the tests, then it should hold X amount of weight. Titebond more than likely dont want to pay all that money to get it tested, so no published structural capacities. We all know you could hang a cabinet with it on a wall, enough surface area would bond it. But, you also have to consider every other part...the drywall its attached to, the fastener of the drywall to stud, the stud, and so forth.

This gets me to a broader rant now, yea anyone can get on google and figure out how to design a beam or floor joist, etc. its the details that get you. Ask the engineer on the Hyatt walkway collapse.

I have as an engineer used liquid nails as part of my repairs for things, more as a belt and suspenders though.

IMHO using the TB for a torsion box won't be a problem but I would be concerned that the glue has expired if it's been in storage.

Since he asked about this 11 years ago, the answer has probably been determined by now
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Since he asked about this 11 years ago, the answer has probably been determined by now
    Chuck
    I wonder how Mark's torsion box held up?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)