Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools or builds?

Very cool little project, great Job.
    Out here, the wine tourists would eat that sort of thing up.

Sorry, late to the party. I was busy using tools to make furniture: LN LAJ with O1 iron set to take a .005 shaving while creating chamfers on the underside of a table top, which is curly cherry. That is all the time I can afford to spend online: back to WWing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

One of the things about being Retired....IF I want to spend an hour or three IN the shop BUILDING some Project, I just head to the shop.....with a Camera in hand. I am NOT on any sort of Time Clock....and this is a Hobby. IF I don't feel like being in the shop that day...not a biggie....I can do other stuff.

I have been posting "Build-along" Project for a few YEARS on this site, and others. I don't mind, keeps me out of the Bars. Yes, I do take the time to "record" that shop time, except..I have never bothered to do videos...as I am not set up for such things.

I also like going out, and shopping for Vintage Tools...and rehabbing those back to usable status....as I usually will put them to work. Sorry, I just happen to believe it is not the tool's fault, but usually the operator trying to use a tool.....and a Poor Craftsman will blame his tools, rather than just look in a mirror.

Yep, I'll keep posting my projects as Build-alongs...and post photos of any tools I happen to rehab....you can look if you like, if not...oh well....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

My son was married a couple of years ago in the middle of the pandemic. The wedding was small and socially distanced. The following year, on the same day, they had a second "proper" wedding with all of the people. But the first in a tent in their back yard was a sweet, intimate affair that I thought worthy of commemoration. So I decided to make them a special keepsake. I had pocketed a couple of champagne corks and cages and wanted to work them into a design. Here is a photo of the day itself -
    David Carroll

David, you caught the "sweet and intimate" Lovely carving.
    Last edited by Bruce Mack; 07-30-2023 at 4:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Sorry, late to the party. I was busy using tools to make furniture: LN LAJ with O1 iron set to take a .005 shaving while creating chamfers on the underside of a table top, which is curly cherry. That is all the time I can afford to spend online: back to WWing.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Phil, is that an original LN iron or aftermarket? I prefer the O1 on that plane, too. Looking forward to seeing the finished table!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Phil, is that an original LN iron or aftermarket? I prefer the O1 on that plane, too. Looking forward to seeing the finished table!

Kevin
    Kevin: Original W1 blade. I've been making steady progress on the table lately: good chance it will be done this year

Speaking of builds: Kevin is an amazing chair-maker: would love to see one of your chair builds chronicled! Best, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Kevin: Original W1 blade. I've been making steady progress on the table lately: good chance it will be done this year

Speaking of builds: Kevin is an amazing chair-maker: would love to see one of your chair builds chronicled! Best, Phil
    Well seeing I have 3 chairs right now in various stages of completion, I’m not sure people can wait what seems to be years to complete!!

Derek, one of the major factors is the reduction in forum participation world wide and the move to FB etc and the end result of that is going to be the loss of the searchable data base that is created by forum users as they take part. Right now there is a huge change taking place in the prominent WW fora around the world where long term participants have simply stopped posting and I could list several from this forum who do not post as they used to. The Australian form has experienced the largest change and except from a few notables the old guard has simply disappeared to be replaced by a new generation of forum users. Forum admins might try and disagree but forum use is slowly reducing unfortunately.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Derek, one of the major factors is the reduction in forum participation world wide and the move to FB etc and the end result of that is going to be the loss of the searchable data base that is created by forum users as they take part. Right now there is a huge change taking place in the prominent WW fora around the world where long term participants have simply stopped posting and I could list several from this forum who do not post as they used to. The Australian form has experienced the largest change and except from a few notables the old guard has simply disappeared to be replaced by a new generation of forum users. Forum admins might try and disagree but forum use is slowly reducing unfortunately.
    Chris - I think we are aging out. Many young(er) men are not tempted by woodworking. I can speculate but I don't know. Even demos of hand planing in attempts to find guys to inherit my stuff got no bites.

Bruce, I am calling it a generational change because that is what it is and those who are entering the hobby don't have the rich knowledge base to draw on due to the older guys withdrawing from forums such as this but the point being missed by new WW's is the searchable data base in all the forums. The only reason I come to SMC is because this forum had the largest number of sliding saw users I know of but that has just about disappeared these days. My primary interest in Australia was always commercial selling and advising on dust extraction and now I no longer do that I don't have any reason to visit that forum any longer either.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Chris - I think we are aging out. Many young(er) men are not tempted by woodworking. I can speculate but I don't know. Even demos of hand planing in attempts to find guys to inherit my stuff got no bites.
    Not all of use are a lost cause. I'm 31 and I got my 16 year old cousin started in hand tools. So hopefully there is some hope. I know it takes more than two but I'm willing to share my shop with anyone who is interested

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Not all of use are a lost cause. I'm 31 and I got my 16 year old cousin started in hand tools. So hopefully there is some hope. I know it takes more than two but I'm willing to share my shop with anyone who is interested
    Jason - I live in west metro Minneapolis. You may have become my inheritor. We should meet at Fitger's Inn in Duluth this fall or next spring for the transfer of some of my LN regalia. Seriously. I'm not dead or dying yet but I am on a moving stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Jason - I live in west metro Minneapolis. You may have become my inheritor. We should meet at Fitger's Inn in Duluth this fall or next spring for the transfer of some of my LN regalia. Seriously. I'm not dead or dying yet but I am on a moving stage.
    Jason and Bruce - I am also in the west metro with 4 teenage boys that have each shown some varying levels of interest in woodworking including hand tools. The thing I have learned from them is they want to know the best way to the desired output, not necessarily the fastest way. In their tiktok generation they just want to cut to the chase and not waste time with methods that dont perform as they want. They see hand tools as the right path and sometimes power tools which is fine by me as long as they stay with it.

As I view it, there is a bit of truth in all of these posts.
    Yes, forum usage is down accross the board. It is partiall generational, partially seasonal, partially...

When I started using tools, there was no internet of cell phones or any direct ability to get instant answers to any and all the questions I might have. We had to figure things out on our own and come to our own conclusions. Our only database back then was relying on a shop teacher or parent if they themselves knew, if not we went to the library. Later on maybe an employer or mentor.
    All of this took patience and attention, qualities that seem to be in rare supply these days.

Fast forward 40+ years and people have access to answers instantly, on virtually anything.
    The thought of reading/searching a forum and deciphering what was said and how it applies to you work is an antiquated practice to many. Just google it and there's you answer, no work or thinking involved.
    People are far to often choosing speed over quality when it comes to their information gathering. Let's face it, forums are slow, videos are quick.
    This leads to a noticeable lack of depth in their new found knowledge. Watching a video or getting a quick answer from a search engine is great but without context, it looses much of it's meaning.
    Following along a build thread (hand or power) provides the necessary context.
    Breaking down a project into individual, deliberate steps and procedures. Understanding the decisions that were and weren't made at each step and how they fit into the whole of the project. This approach provides the insight and decision making that produce a greater depth of knowledge into the overall build. This is nothing new, it's basically the formula Norm used for all those years.

And as Derek said, build alongs on a forum are a labor of love, not done for financial gain like many YT videos. Not to mention the direct interaction with the builder.

I'm glad to hear that there are some younger woodworkers out there.
    JMHO

Somewhere in the mid 2010's, the internet changed from community to consumption oriented. It is not just here. Not just woodworking. It is all hobby stuff including amateur fiction, video production, etc. Before then, people would comment and compliment, if only to keep creators creating. Now, only the best stuff gets commented unless you're posting to some place like Facebook, and then your work friends and your dad can see what you made and like it.

Here specifically, I have zero sympathy for the loss in traffic. (L)users like me can't even see the pics we posted back before they changed the picture privileges. So yeah, there's pretty much zero chance I'll post another project here.