Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools or builds?

Tools or builds?

When I am in my workshop and building a piece of furniture, I gain inspiration from all types of objects, some in the garden outside my garage/workshop, and some of the tools inside. Tools inspire me as much as anything else. I love looking at them. I love using them. Simple objects, such as a chisel handle, can be beautiful … elegant … And when this elegance comes together with functionality, then working is a pleasure.

It does not matter whether the tool is new and shiny or old and worn. Everyone is different in their appreciation and perception of beauty.

These chisels by Blue Spruce, purchased when Dave Jeske was starting out, bring a smile to my face every time. A2 steel is not my favourite, but they get sharp, hold an edge long enough, and have these wonderful, thin blades.

I’ve been known to modify perfectly excellent tools to get what I want. Can you guess what this started life as?

It does sadden me that the reason for tools - the builds - appear to have disappeared from this forum owing to disinterest, as along with it have gone hand tool techniques on demonstration. I moved my Nightstand build to the Projects forum because of this. Here is how it turned out …

Regards from Perth

Derek

I’ll second that. I joined the forum because I like to see what people are making and to discuss techniques/approaches to building things.

I appreciate tools as objects, but I’m not a collector and don’t find them very interesting to talk about.

Build along projects like Derek's night stands are very time consuming.
    I often take photos of my works in progress but usually just for myself and they don't always flow in a manner that can be easily understood.
    I may have enough photos of a few projects that I could cobble together into something one could follow, if there is interest.

I honestly wasn't aware this was something that was missed.

“ I’ve been known to modify perfectly excellent tools to get what I want. Can you guess what this started life as? ”

Did you grind the sides of a Veritas bevel up smoother? And maybe modify the handle?

Currently running a "Build-along" thread....I have been known to show of a tool, now and then....

been trying to get at least one such project each month....
    Road Trip, part2, freebies.JPG
    Hang these over your bench..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-29-2023 at 6:15 PM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Good point Derek. There are a few Neanders that show detailed builds including Mike Allen and yourself. But we need more. Let's work on this issue.

Derek,

Thanks for the nudge to all of us. Build threads have long been my favorite and the one's I still enjoy the most.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    I’ll second that. I joined the forum because I like to see what people are making and to discuss techniques/approaches to building things.

I appreciate tools as objects, but I’m not a collector and don’t find them very interesting to talk about.
    Could you send a link to some of the projects you have done and shown here? I'm kinda new here and am not familiar with your name.

It’s a sign of the times. It is a difficult job for moderators or owners to keep up. Everyone just seems to post whatever they want on any thread. It’s my opinion of course. Neander threads with machine tool work, electrical questions just what you want. I gave up about a year ago on posting much although I’ve continued to do projects. I don’t need to be told to use an orbital sander or jointer or router on a neander thread. I occasionally look in to see how some of you are doing but not several times a week like I used to do.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    It does sadden me that the reason for tools - the builds - appear to have disappeared from this forum owing to disinterest, as along with it have gone hand tool techniques on demonstration.
    This is not the time of year in the United States when hobby woodworkers are building. I garden and go cycling. I don't want to be stuck in my basement,

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    “ I’ve been known to modify perfectly excellent tools to get what I want. Can you guess what this started life as? ”

Did you grind the sides of a Veritas bevel up smoother? And maybe modify the handle?
    Gary, yes, it started as a BU Smoother …

I used a belt sander to shape the plane to (my version of) an aesthetic.

A few years later, three of the Veritas team (on tour of Australia) visited my workshop. They came across the plane. One commented, “Did we design that .. was it a prototype”. Lots of photos taken

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    It’s a sign of the times. It is a difficult job for moderators or owners to keep up. Everyone just seems to post whatever they want on any thread. It’s my opinion of course. Neander threads with machine tool work, electrical questions just what you want. I gave up about a year ago on posting much although I’ve continued to do projects. I don’t need to be told to use an orbital sander or jointer or router on a neander thread. I occasionally look in to see how some of you are doing but not several times a week like I used to do.
    Jim
    Jim, the difference between builds on a forum and those on YouTube is that those on the forum are not financial, and the audience has an opportunity to interact more easily with the presenter. Most of the YouTube variety are copies of each other, just something for clickbait. If we permit this forum to descend to tools-only, it is the equivalent of YouTube show-and-tell. I love tools, but they need a context ro have meaning. The context is that they are used, and how this is done.

Let’s get it back! I do not expect others to emulate my builds - I’ve many years of practice here. Just post some selections of what you have done. Crop away the unnecessary information - we do not need to see a workshop when it is a joint up for discussion.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes, less tooling and more output. Show what you have done or are doing. It should be mostly hand work and mostly wood, but may be stained, painted, useful, or or simply entertaining. Whimsy is desirable. Think like an artist. Inspire me or entertain me. I am not going to follow your build diagrams or decision-making any more than you are going to follow mine but I would like to see stuff that I wish I had made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Yes, less tooling and more output. Show what you have done or are doing. It should be mostly hand work and mostly wood, but may be stained, painted, useful, or or simply entertaining. Whimsy is desirable. Think like an artist. Inspire me or entertain me. I am not going to follow your build diagrams or decision-making any more than you are going to follow mine but I would like to see stuff that I wish I had made.
    Those are some strict conditions to follow. I personally don't work like that.

IMO, If build threads are what people want, just ask them and you get what you get.
    While I have no desire to see people milling lumber to size (like most YT videos), the project should be what ever the woodworker/artist wants it to be and how they want to build it.
    The C&C usually comes after the project is done, sometimes during, but not before.

Okay here's a project.

My son was married a couple of years ago in the middle of the pandemic. The wedding was small and socially distanced. The following year, on the same day, they had a second "proper" wedding with all of the people. But the first in a tent in their back yard was a sweet, intimate affair that I thought worthy of commemoration. So I decided to make them a special keepsake. I had pocketed a couple of champagne corks and cages and wanted to work them into a design. Here is a photo of the day itself:

Happycouple.jpg

Then I worked out a sketch, this usually involves pasting up and reworking tracings and drawings (hence the blue tape):

Preliminarysketch.jpg

Then it's traced onto basswood, cut out with a coping saw that I've had since 1975 (Obligatory old tool content) and the carving begins. incidentally I carve by hand, no Dremels, no burrs, no skinny sanding tools. Just carving tools:

Mid-carving.jpg

Then I added a base, and made the champagne cork cages into cafe chairs, and the cork itself into a cafe table base and it was done!

Final.jpg

Sorry about the sideways pictures...

But this was a really fun project. I hope you enjoyed it. This happy couple had a baby boy this past April!

DC