Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jessem stock guides

I can answer the size question, the Urethane O-rings are size 319. I looked them up on Amazon and they are available cheap, but I did not know what density/durometer (?) to order, so I got them from Jessem with $12 shipping on an $8 order.

I was tempted to get a bag of 25 for cheap on Amazon, but wasn't sure they were the right ones. Also felt their urethane rings would probably turn to goo in three years like the Jessem ones did, so the extras would do me no good.

Maybe someone with knowledge can clarify.

Useless O-ring info: I have three Kits of O-rings from various places. Two are from HF, one metric and one SAE. They are identical same numbers, just different color box. The other kit is from ?, and looks very similar. NONE of the kits have a size 319 in them.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hi Derek, I wasn't speaking on your particular method. If it works and feels good then great. I was just trying to say that sometimes device A gets in the way when it shouldn't then device B may be a better solution in that particular case. I have them (the jessem Guides) and really like them but don't use them on every cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    This is not really applicable in this instance. The Guides hold the workpiece against the rip fence, and not just keep it on the table. The workpiece is not going anywhere. It simply needs to be pushed forwards. With wider boards, just use your hands. For these very narrow boards, you need a push stick to squeeze past the Guides.

The reason for the rubber cap is that one will push pass the Guide with the flat end of (in my case) the dowel, then you may need to push from the other side of the first Guide. The rubber cap provides grip on the workpiece.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I personally do not care how you work around the pusher with thin stock. I saw the stock guides being used on You Tube and how they mill keep a full sheet of plywood up against the fence. Well maybe of you are 30 years old yes but not when you are 77. I will continue to brake down sheet goods the old fashion way. As I stated in the beginning I like the stock guides and I am glade I bought them. But you never hear about the problems with milling thin strips. Not every one is an expert here and if you are somewhat new to the craft, have limited money, and need a lot of other tools then then maybe you might want to spend your money on some other much needed things.

Now if you have all the answers and seem to be experts in the field then why aren't you sharing the information in your own post? Why are you bad mouthing me and posting about how you get around something. Do your own dirty work.

I do not know how many things I have purchased just to find out the marketing was very good, but they didn't work out as promised for my intended use. I took the time to list some short comings I found to be true. What or how you chose to use the information is none of my concern.

I agree with John Kananis's statement and Dereck's statement though true, I find it is not really applicable in this instance. 55 miles pre hour may be the speed limit on a county black top but it is a death wish on a county gravel road. Application, application, application.
    Tom