Thread: Supermax 19-38 Drum Sander Feed Belt Replacement

Supermax 19-38 Drum Sander Feed Belt Replacement

I have a Supermax 19-38 drum sander. It is now time to replace the feed belt. There are two options in the manual, 100 grit backed sand paper type and polyurethane type. I have found both on line about the same price. I have also found the same size sandpaper type @ 120 grit cloth backed at about 1/2 the price of the original. Has anyone tried the polyurethane type and is it better? If you have replaced yours, what and where did you get the replacement?
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 07-19-2023 at 10:25 PM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I don't have an answer but I'll be watching this thread because after 5 years my belt is gettting pretty rough and I will need to replace it at some point soon.

Blog Entries
    I tried the Klingspor replacement. It did not last near as long as the original. I bought another original from Acme. It was poorly packed and ruined in shipping. Waiting on a replacement. I would recommend the original unless someone has used a different alternate long enough to testify to the longevity. My original lasted 6 years. The Klingspor lasted less than a year. there's price and then there's cost.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I tried the Klingspor replacement. It did not last near as long as the original. I bought another original from Acme. It was poorly packed and ruined in shipping. Waiting on a replacement. I would recommend the original unless someone has used a different alternate long enough to testify to the longevity. My original lasted 6 years. The Klingspor lasted less than a year. there's price and then there's cost.
    Was the Klingspor the paper version? I wasn’t going to try that one. Looking at a cloth backed one.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Was the Klingspor the paper version? I wasn’t going to try that one. Looking at a cloth backed one.
    It is. The material is ill suited to the task. A heavier weight backing would be better. Some folks have posted success with Industrial Abrasives drive belts. Others have reported tracking problems. Unfortunately Acme won't send a replacement until they receive the original back despite pictures of the damage. It will be a couple of weeks before I can comment on the factory replacement. I will report back once received.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quite curious, I've never heard of a feed belt backed with paper.
    Do you have a link?

I've had bad luck with the cloth back belts drifting. I think they are more prone to stretching. The cheaper ones Klingspor sells are thinner and I think Monofiliment backed. They track better but are prone to tearing.

My experience on smaller drum sander was similar to Russell's. The OEM cloth belts simply would not track straight for me. I purchased the Klingspor version and was skeptical when I saw the product. It has been on the sander for over a year now without any issues. I use the sander frequently for various projects and am happy thus far.

Thanks for the inputs. With the post here and Google searching I decided to go with Maverick Abrasives belt. $70 shipped. It is a polyester backed belt. There is a less expensive belt, but it is polycotton. I felt the polyester would be a better choice. Seems to be somewhat a crap shoot based on the replys.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 07-21-2023 at 4:42 PM.