Thread: Storing Table Saw Jigs

Storing Table Saw Jigs

What is the best way to store TS jigs? ("store" as in I won't need it today, not "store" as in the "U-STOR-IT type commercial places)
    I live in a low humidity climate; RH is rarely above 40%.
    Eventually I want to climate control the "gara-shop" but currently the shop RH is whatever outdoor RH is.

The several jigs are DIY (WIP), not store bought.

Bases are all 3/4" birch ply.
    Largest jig (taper) measures 12 x 34
    Next larger one is 14 x18....Smaller ones after that

Should they be stored on edge? Hung vertically? Flat? Doesn't matter?
    Thanks
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    The very fist step is labeling them for what they are used for and the date it was last used. I have one small jig I made that I no idea what it was for.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-17-2023 at 8:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The very fist step is labeling them for what they are used for and the date it was last used. I have one small jig I made that I no idea what it was for.
    OK.. I get that for my small ones (and I have some some very small ones indeed).

But I mean the big 'uns... the ones you can look at and just know what they are for (taper, crosscut, 45/picture frame cut, etc).
    I don't want them going "unflat" .

Why do you mark them with a "last used" date?
    (I almost typed "Use by" date )
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 07-17-2023 at 9:00 PM.

I typically drill two 1” holes in them and hang them on hooks/screws against a wall, but I have more wall space than floor space.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Neat hook system Glenn, I'm going to have to copy that.

Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Neat hook system Glenn, I'm going to have to copy that.

Thanks for sharing!
    A few more pics in case it helps someone.

Cleat Peg (3).jpgCleat Peg (2).jpgCleat Peg (4).jpg

When I make this sort of thing I tend to batch them out.

Cleat Peg(14).jpg

I though I had made plenty. Turns out I would like a few more
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Why do you mark them with a "last used" date?
    (I almost typed "Use by" date )
    In several years down the road if you see one that hasn't been used for a long, long time, it is probably a candidate for the burn pile instead of taking up space in your shop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you keep them shorter than the underside of your tablesaw you can get a few and a bank of drawers

Patty,
    I’m primarily a turner, so I don’t use my TS too often, and had to, like you, figure out how to store my jigs and things that are solely used on or with the TS. My saw is on casters — four under the body of the saw and two under a ‘leg’ that I built under the right-side extension. On the outside of that leg I screwed, with one screw, my crosscut sled. Then, around back, are three other things. My outfeed table (OT) is on hinges screwed to the continuous angle that’s along the back of the TS, so it’s ‘folded down’ in a vertical position. The two separate, loose legs that support the OT when in use are screwed to the top edge of it with one screw that goes through both into the edge of the OT. Then my zero-clearance fence, that fits over the TS fence, is screwed to the legs (again, just one screw). Lastly, on top of all that, is my 4’ guide for my circular saw screwed to the fence. My taper jig hangs on the wall behind the TS. My thin strip ripping jig is in the bottom drawer of the drawer bank I built to fit between the right hand side leg and the body of the TS, and beneath the whole thing. It too is on casters.

IMG_4509.jpgIMG_4498.jpgIMG_4501.jpgIMG_4503.jpgIMG_4499.jpgIMG_4506.jpg
    Since most of those things are rarely used, the 4’ guide for my circular saw winds up looking and acting like a shelf!IMG_4507.jpg

Best of luck to you!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    In several years down the road if you see one that hasn't been used for a long, long time, it is probably a candidate for the burn pile instead of taking up space in your shop.
    I see...good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    Patty,
    I’m primarily a turner, so I don’t use my TS too often, and had to, like you, figure out how to store my jigs and things that are solely used on or with the TS. My saw is on casters — four under the body of the saw and two under a ‘leg’ that I built under the right-side extension. On the outside of that leg I screwed, with one screw, my crosscut sled. Then, around back, are three other things. My outfeed table (OT) is on hinges screwed to the continuous angle that’s along the back of the TS, so it’s ‘folded down’ in a vertical position. The two separate, loose legs that support the OT when in use are screwed to the top edge of it with one screw that goes through both into the edge of the OT. Then my zero-clearance fence, that fits over the TS fence, is screwed to the legs (again, just one screw). Lastly, on top of all that, is my 4’ guide for my circular saw screwed to the fence. My taper jig hangs on the wall behind the TS. My thin strip ripping jig is in the bottom drawer of the drawer bank I built to fit between the right hand side leg and the body of the TS, and beneath the whole thing. It too is on casters.

IMG_4509.jpgIMG_4498.jpgIMG_4501.jpgIMG_4503.jpgIMG_4499.jpgIMG_4506.jpg
    Since most of those things are rarely used, the 4’ guide for my circular saw winds up looking and acting like a shelf!IMG_4507.jpg

Best of luck to you!
    Glad you included pictures.... I see an idea or two worth considering. Thankee much, Walter.