Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My Push Block

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I try to always have a second push stick like the second one in Patty's post in my left hand, first to push the workpiece against the fence if I'm not using a featherboard ( I usually do use a featherboard), but more important in case something goes wrong and I instinctively reach in to correct it, the push stick keeps my hand well away.
    Yep... right hand might be using either of the ones shown, but left hand is almost always holding the actual "stick" one when ripping.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I've been watching old "New Yankee Workshop" episodes.

It seems that these days, some would brand him (Norm Abrams) a radically dangerous woodworker.

Despite the disclaimer to follow all of the safety instructions that come with your tools, Norm didn't. Every time I watched him use his TS I thought of the dis service he was doing to many of the woodworkers that watched him and thought, well, if Norm thinks it's OK not to use a guard there's no reason I should. It's the beginning woodworker most at risk because they don't have the knowledge and experience yet that will help them assess the risk of a particular operation. So was Norm a radically dangerous woodworker? No, but he and the producer should have better realized who formed a great part of the audience and acted accordingly.

John

I won't say guards are over-rated but a guard on a tablesaw is least useful just when a push stick is most needed. How can you hand-feed a rip less than 1" wide against a fence with a typical guard in place? A riving knife, a push stick and close attention are called for in that situation. Personally, I like to have a view of the stock against the fence so I can see if the workpiece is pinching or splaying as the cut progresses. A hands-free kill switch is also a valuable safety device when you can see a problem developing.

As Philip Mitchell points out, a bandsaw is generally safer for ripping. I often use mine for roughing out material.

John,

You should apply your bubble-wrap philosophy to all media.

I mean if Tom can do it....

Tom.jpg

It seems that some people wish to hide the truth and instead present a sanitized false version of reality, due to some misguided belief that "they" should get to decide just what the rest of us helpless fools can safely handle.

Woodworkers work like they work!
    You don't have to like it.

It seems that you would have us dress up and act like the phony woodworkers / content creators pushing all the stupid gimmicks and using all of the "safety" gear, tools and machinery to promote their sponsors, that would be a lie, because that's not how we work.
    Or figure out how to ban "everything" that is dangerous for a beginner to do. Of course that would put Tom Cruise out of work....a small price to pay for saving all the innocent souls of this planet.

The only ones doing a disservice are those that deny the truth, cover up, hide and censor what was and is being done.

Newsflash; Living is dangerous.
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 07-18-2023 at 8:14 PM.

I have 3 push blocks that cover 95% of what I do at the TS. I have several other special ones for the router table and the joiner. I try to angle the block toward the fence whenever I can - it seems to help keep the pressure against the fence.

2023-07-18_17h06_05.jpg 2023-07-18_17h05_45.jpg

The only tool in my shop that still has the factory guard on it is the joiner - for good reason. Been working with my hands for 55 years and believe this statement by Mark is correct: "As long as you know what you are doing, confident, focused and committed to maintain control you should be fine ......" As far as I'm concerned the guard is going to fail long before I will and then I'll be fubar because I relied on it. Much rather rely on myself.

(typing with ten)
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Ok, are we good on the push block subject? Lots of great examples, lots of differing opinions. But it's getting a little warm in here and some fingers are getting dangerously close to the teeth of this moderator. I'd hate to have to jam a brake into this thread and ruin an otherwise sharp and effective conversation. (apologies for the stretched metaphor).

I think getting two sides to agree on this might be Mission Impossible. Let's let it rest.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 07-18-2023 at 7:04 PM.