Thread: What dimensions to mill to?

What dimensions to mill to?

Hi everyone, we're taking down a good sized black locust tree in our backyard, and I'd like to have it milled so I can use it for a future project (the tree must "live" on!) I don't have a specific project in mind yet, but probably an outdoor bench and/or an outdoor table. No specific timeline.

My main question is what dimensions should I have it milled to? Obviously wider/thicker/longer gives me more options down the road, but I don't have much in the way of resaw capability. (Small basement shop, 110v table saw, no bandsaw). What about width and length? I'll be drying the wood outdoors in the northeast US. How much of the dimensions should I plan to lose to bowing/warping etc?

And finally, if anyone of you operate a portable sawmill out of the NJ area, I haven't found anyone to do the job yet. Thanks!

I, too, use black locust for outdoor furniture projects. This bench has been sitting on my deck for at least 8 years now.

The legs are 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" IIRC, so the rough stock was at least 2-3/4 and more likely 3" thick. BL likes twist and warp quite a bit because the logs are almost never straight. The other various parts are a combination of thickness from 1/2", to 7/8", to 1-1/2".

I would mill enough pieces of the thickest stock you imagine using, adding 1/2" to accommodate warp, twist, etc. And I'd mill some at 5 or 6/4 for everything else.

Despite what many folks say, I found BL to be a pleasure to work with and not any tougher on tooling than other hardwoods.

Red mulberry makes fine outdoor furniture, too.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I, too, use black locust for outdoor furniture projects. This bench has been sitting on my deck for at least 8 years now.

That's a good looking bench!

Where in NJ are you? I periodically see mobile sawmill services on CraigsList and this is one that I recall. https://www.mobilesawmillnj.com/
    If you can transport the log and are in northern NJ, this might be an option. https://ludolumber.com/what-we-do/

I have not used either service but I have been thinking about it myself. I have three white oak logs in my yard and am trying to convince myself to use my chainsaw mill. If you end up using a service, please share how it goes.