Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WGM Toolworks

WGM Toolworks

Anyone know this company? Their website shows nicely machined cutterheads, but I can find no other reference to them on the world wide web.

https://www.wgm-toolworks.com/

Have they been in business long? Are their products made overseas (or here, doubtful). Is the quality dependable?

thank, Mark

With sentences like this, it may just be a cheap import business. "We have capable mechanical engineers available to help our customers design helical cutterheads and provide engineering advices"

I think you might be on to something there Richard !

Some quick research led me to a Chinese name so I'm going to say imported. I assumed so at those prices. They remind me of the original Grizzly spiral heads that didn't have a shear angle.

Well spotted Brian, I hadn't noticed that.

Whenever I see a business that uses a gmail account for email, I'm always suspicious.

Yep - the address they list is a UPS Store. That pretty much pegs my scam meter.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    With sentences like this, it may just be a cheap import business. "We have capable mechanical engineers available to help our customers design helical cutterheads and provide engineering advices"
    HAHA...excellent! No doubt using a stock photo as well.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I kept and still have the little label that came with a cap I bought twenty something years ago. It reads -

Jae Won cap
    Always does his best
    The model for which all cap

No way I could throw that poetry into the bin of history.
    Like all great art it poses more questions than answers.

WGM Toolworks

I have purchased six cutter heads from WGM TOOLWORKS GREAT cutter heads at a very reasonable price. I have been very satisfied with the cutter heads I have one in a Powematic 225 planer one a Powematic 180 planer one in a Delta RJ 42 jointer two in Grizzly G1021 planers one in a 8 inch Jet jointer they all give a very smooth finish. My latest cutter is for a Porter cable 653 versa plane can't wait to see how it does. Sam Guo at WGM Toolworks provides great customer service the longest I had to wait for a cutter was 4 weeks fast service with a great product.

Interesting first post. Thanks for the advices.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Shore View Post
    I have purchased six cutter heads from WGM TOOLWORKS GREAT cutter heads at a very reasonable price. I have been very satisfied with the cutter heads I have one in a Powematic 225 planer one a Powematic 180 planer one in a Delta RJ 42 jointer two in Grizzly G1021 planers one in a 8 inch Jet jointer they all give a very smooth finish. My latest cutter is for a Porter cable 653 versa plane can't wait to see how it does. Sam Guo at WGM Toolworks provides great customer service the longest I had to wait for a cutter was 4 weeks fast service with a great product.
    Let's see the pictures. Highly unusual to have 4 planers and 2 jointers. I'm very skeptical, but your English isn't perfect yet unless you changed the company name to WGM TOOLWORKS GREAT.

I have a cabinet shop in Silverhill Alabama this is just some of the equipment I have . I have 2 Ritter R 10 Shapers 1 Ritter R 30 Shaper 1 Ritter R 46 Line bore machine 1 Delta RS 15 Shaper 1 Weaver Shaper 1 Delta 20" Bandsaw 1 43" SCMI Wide belt sander 1 Ritter pocket hole machine 2 Powematic 66 Tablesaw 1 Powematic 27 Super Shaper 1 Delta 10" right tilt Tablesaw 1 Blum hinge bore machine. I easily have over $200,000.00 in equipment come to Silverhill and I will show you what I have!!!

But why 4 thickness planers? Probably a couple of those should be replaced with a 5 head Weinig machine that will do 10 times the work of 2 thickness planers.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    But why 4 thickness planers? Probably a couple of those should be replaced with a 5 head Weinig machine that will do 10 times the work of 2 thickness planers.
    Mayhaps, but not necessarily. LFPM throughput would be lights-out difference. BUT - small custom lots with multiple profiles are fast to set up on the thickness planers which are dirt cheap comparatively.

Setup can be interminable on a Weinig, et.al. And there is a big difference in skill level. Process design and throughput was my raison d'etre for dog years in softwood manufacturing for a lotta big players, lotta multi-head molders, yada yada. Doesn't make me any kind of a wizard, Richard - just a cat with bruises and splinters.

The game isn't won by fastest molding/planing speed, it is won by lowest total cost out-the-door.

If you are running one specific profile for a lot of footage, then sure. Get that rascal set up, tee it up, and let it rip. The secondary processes come into play as well - if you run it at 150 - 300 LFPM, then you gotta feed it that fast, you gotta stack it off that fast, and you have to pull the waste that fast. Many times the 5-head molder was cheaper than everything than the other parts needed to make it effective.

But it does do what it does do, if that is what you need it to do. You're dead-on about that, Sir.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    The game isn't won by fastest molding/planing speed, it is won by lowest total cost out-the-door.
    Exactly. And lowest total cost out the door these days is based on less labor. That means more speed on the machine and less people running the machines is how you dramatically reduce labor costs and achieve that lowest total cost out-the -door. And I'm not always talking molding. You can set up a Weinig with straight knives and get a much higher quality product out the end with S4S lumber in one pass. Throw in depreciation on the new machine on taxes and he would be way ahead in short order.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 08-01-2023 at 5:18 PM.