Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tool: Swedish pipe wrench

New tool: Swedish pipe wrench

I bought a new tool from Horrible Fright. Around $12.00 on sale. Never heard of it before. Not really big enough for pipe work but seems useful for big nuts. Work similar to vise grips but flat jaws that stay parallel. Would be better for me if the jaws were not serrated.
    Bill D
    Amazon has a better make for more money.
    https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-83-10-.../dp/B005EXOIBA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rainman Ray (of Youtube fame) calls it his 'angry wrench', or something like that.

A grinding wheel would take care of the serrations. But I would never abuse a Knipex one like that.

That is an interesting look Bill. Coming out of the pipe trades a pair of channel locks are always in the pocket. About 20 or so yrs ago Knipex was just making an entry into the US market and my partner and I picked up the line for the New England States. I am decidedly a tool guy and we had these really nice display boxes full of Knipex and Irega tools. The Plier Wrenches (86-03-250 &180) quickly became my favorites. At the price we were having difficulty getting them into the market in the PH/HVAC trade and really we were more equipment guys than parts and pieces so in fairness to the company we gave up the line suggesting a couple better suited reps to the category. The Sales Manager who a friend of my partners thanked us and said, “Just send back the sample cases…” Shocking! We wrote a check for about $3000 and kept the tools

Knipex plier wrench have smooth jaws and a price that makes me choke. Seven inch size is $48 at amazon.
    Bill D

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-860318...417494871&th=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-25-2023 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Knipex plier wrench have smooth jaws and a price that makes me choke. Seven inch size is $48 at amazon.
    Bill D

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-860318...417494871&th=1

I have one of those- not cheap but worth it. Excellent for reaching in to those random nuts of unknown size. Should last for generations. Unfortunately, all of those push-button adjusters are quite right-handed. Us lefties do better with the traditional Channellock type notches.

Does it lock down like vise grips? The harbor fright version does but it has an adjusting ring. Similar concept to the vise grip adjusting screw.
    PS: Isn't Vise Grip bankrupt and gone?
    Bill D

This one is handy, I have several.https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-61.../dp/B00009OYGZ
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Does it lock down like vise grips? The harbor fright version does but it has an adjusting ring. Similar concept to the vise grip adjusting screw.
    Bill D

If you're asking about the Knipex plier wrench, no it doesn't lock, but high leverage so you can hold the setting with hand pressure.

In selling them I would take the 250mm Knipex put it on a flange bolt set the pliers on the bolt and stand on them. They did not slip. I prefer the 180mm version as they have enough capacity for most of the residential needs. Once you have a set you will love them once you choke down the price.

I have two drawers full on Knipex pliers and cutters in the mechanic shop. The only piece I bought and don't recommend is the end cutting nippers. They don't cut any better than Klein end cutting nippers, and the end is too flat to be good for pulling out nails. The handles are also very small and not easy on the hand.

These are the only regret and I suggest to buy Kleins instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We keep a 10" pliers wrench in the house. Pam uses it since it covers so many nut sizes, but I'll go get a wrench instead of using it. It doesn't slip to cam out on a fastener. It works almost as good as a regular wrench. It's good to have in a small tool kit.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-25-2023 at 6:13 PM.

A popular auction site has a listing for a new Knipex 8603250 at a discount even with shipping. The listing says proceeds benefit the Denver Tool Library. I don't know how many they have but the listing was still up after I ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have two drawers full on Knipex pliers and cutters in the mechanic shop. The only piece I bought and don't recommend is the end cutting nippers. They don't cut any better than Klein end cutting nippers, and the end is too flat to be good for pulling out nails. The handles are also very small and not easy on the hand.

These are the only regret and I suggest to buy Kleins instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We keep a 10" pliers wrench in the house. Pam uses it since it covers so many nut sizes, but I'll go get a wrench instead of using it. It doesn't slip to cam out on a fastener. It works almost as good as a regular wrench. It's good to have in a small tool kit.

I used the largest size of Channellock end nippers for many years, & still have several pair, but have gone over to these, as they actually do more things, and importantly, live happily in your back pocket. Angled head, long handles, very rarely stocked in stores. I have at least three pair.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channell...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

That HD link says they have nine and will ship to home for free. I think I have a pair similar.
    Bill D

Bill D
    Peterson - the original maker/owner of Vice Grip sold out nearly 20 years ago. They sell now under the Irwin name and are made in China.
    The US plant closed in 2008. The "new" ones aren't anywhere near as good as the "older" ones that were made DeWitt Nebraska

FWIW - the Ridge Tool (Ridgid brand) Swedish Pipe wrench goes for about $135
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon