Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best sharpening table surface?

Blog Entries
    thanks all for your advice and suggestions!

Here are some pics of my completed sharpening Bench. I wanted long narrow footprint on rollers to fit into my small shop, but also wanted to create some additional storage space. Doug Fir 2 x 4's for side frames, with vertical grain Doug Fir panels and trim, sugar pine shelves, BB plywood /quartz top. Started as simple shop project so quick half lap /screwed joinery for side frames. Drawers and dividers turned out to be more fun with sliding DT for vertical and horizontal dividers and through and blind DT for 7 drawers.

I was gonna go with just spar varnished plywood for top but got quartz remnant for $100. I like it not only for durability, but also flat surface to accommodate fine sandpaper for flattening blade backs, etc. I previously used a smaller piece of granite for this but am too lazy to haul it out onto the bench when I should. New bench make it easier to have better a habits.

Cheers, Mike

[/ATTACH]DSC_0054 (2).jpgDSC_0051 (3).JPGDSC_0056 (2).jpgDSC_0052 (2).jpg

Excellent! It won't stay so new looking for long, especially if you use the Makita sharpener.

Mike, I would explore how to add a waterstone holder similar to this one of mine. “L” shaped holder plus adjustable clamp, all in a nylon/UHMW material …

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Looking good Mike.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    The top of my sharpening station is Melamine. I have a shallow silicone tray that the stones sit in to contain the mess. I use Shapton Glass Stones so they don't need much water. Since this photo was taken I added stone holders to elevate them a bit.

m

Rob, can you tell me more about shallow silicone tray you use to contain the mess and keep your stones steady? I’m looking for something to put under water stones so they don’t move in use. I have mine epoxyed to glass sheet, it sliding is still a concern.Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mike, I would explore how to add a waterstone holder similar to this one of mine. “L” shaped holder plus adjustable clamp, all in a nylon/UHMW material …

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I definitely need something similar. I saw your setup in the “stones” thread and thought ,”I should have guessed Derek would have an elegant solution to this problem “. Thanks for permission to steal your idea, which I do without the slightest hint of reservation!����

My set up includes this plastic tub with glass lid that came from my friend's woodworker father's estate.

It is designed to store the water stones. I've come to use it as a base and riser. The tub is filled with water for weight and stability. A small lip catches the sharpening slurry, draining it into the tub, and a piece of rubber mat keeps the stone from sliding around while letting it's position be adjusted. The rubber was sound control in a home music room.

The shelf is over the toilet in the small powder room behind the shop- 40" high, & with the other stuff the actual height of the stone is 44 or 45", so there is no bending over at all. Having the stone raised up on the base gives excellent knuckle and handle clearance.

This was not part of a grand plan but just evolved over time. Not having to get anything out or put it away is a big benefit, and it is not shared territory so it can be messy.

I think the two key points are comfortable height, and being able to place and move the stone to any angle rather than having to adjust wrists & body to a fixed, straight-ahead stone position.

IMG_4291.jpegIMG_4292.jpeg

I have a silicone mat that I got at Woodcraft. I don't have a sharpening station per se, but the mat is a cheap short term fix. It is sold to hold sharpening stones and collects the water as you sharpen. It is non-slip, and the stones when used on it also do not slip. It is about $20. It is very roughly 13" by 17," so normally I only use one stone at a time on it.

After I build a real sharpening station the mat will be a permanent part. After sharpening I pick up the mat, take it outside and rinse the residue away.

It has two features I really like, it works great and is cheap.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    m

Rob, can you tell me more about shallow silicone tray you use to contain the mess and keep your stones steady? I’m looking for something to put under water stones so they don’t move in use. I have mine epoxyed to glass sheet, it sliding is still a concern.Thanks!
    It's a Silicone Dog Dish Mat from Amazon (LINK HERE). It's real easy to clean up. I got the 19 x 12 size. If I had it to do over I'd get the next size larger (24 x 16). I lined the bottom with a piece of perforated shelf liner from the home center. Any water drains through so there's not a puddle. After this photo was taken I got inexpensive stone holders for my three stones (LINK). They stay put like they're glued to the mat but are easy to reverse or move to the side for whatever reason. The thing I like best about the setup is that I can carry the kit in whole or in part to the sink and clean it all up periodically.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That is a good idea. I use a couple of fast food trays, but the stones do slip. Some silicone sheet in the bottom would fix that. I like the trays as they have a lip to retain the water.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    It's a Silicone Dog Dish Mat from Amazon (LINK HERE). It's real easy to clean up. I got the 19 x 12 size. If I had it to do over I'd get the next size larger (24 x 16). I lined the bottom with a piece of perforated shelf liner from the home center. Any water drains through so there's not a puddle. After this photo was taken I got inexpensive stone holders for my three stones (LINK). They stay put like they're glued to the mat but are easy to reverse or move to the side for whatever reason. The thing I like best about the setup is that I can carry the kit in whole or in part to the sink and clean it all up periodically.
    Thanks Rob- I appreciate your generous advice!!

The stone holders are on sale for prime day TODAY.7/12
    Image 7-12-23 at 7.56 AM.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    The stone holders are on sale for prime day TODAY.7/12
    Image 7-12-23 at 7.56 AM.jpeg

That's a great price. Seems to me about what I paid a couple years ago. I can vouch for the quality too. The expensive versions can't hold a stone any better.

Check out this vid at 10:53 for a demo and review

Last edited by Rob Luter; 07-12-2023 at 8:59 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.