Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taco bell will not take orders or cash

[QUOTE=

Now that pot is all but legalized, I don't see as much reason to keep cash a thing to avoid the government monitoring all transactions.[/QUOTE]

Here in Washington all the weed stores take cash only. I believe it has to do with Federal laws vs. State laws.

I believe the cash only pot thing is the baks are scared that if they cash checks from pot sellers their federal banking license can be revoked. The feds at any tome could decide to enforce the federal anti pot laws. For some reason they just decided to ignore those laws in states that legalized it. California was talking about creating a state chartered bank for pot sellers. Pot shops have a huge cash flow problem. There is really no legal way to put their profits to use without money laundering.
    Bill D
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Here in Washington all the weed stores take cash only. I believe it has to do with Federal laws vs. State laws.
    In Oregon some of them will take plastic. It is usually connected through an on premiss ATM.

It has to do with federal banking laws.

We were in a non-pot selling store a few days ago that used to sell CBD gummies. CBD is the non-psychoactive component of cannabis that has been found to be an effective pain killer. Their bank made them stop selling CBD products.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don’t carry cash anymore. It just looks so boring. I like Canadian bills; good colors. But, not even colorful bills tend to accumulate in my wallet.

Blog Entries
    Just FYI in regards to cash being “legal tender for all debts public and private,” that only means that the government will back it for all debts and that it is uniformly accepted. That does not mean that the law says you have to take cash. If I want to barter for chickens, I’m free to do so. I do not have to take cash.

That said, it’s dumb not to take cash, as you save the credit card fees, but just saying it’s not a law that you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post

That said, it’s dumb not to take cash, as you save the credit card fees, but just saying it’s not a law that you have to.
    I get your point, and mostly agree with you in the case of small, local business.

The caveat - for a corporation that is operating at scale and attempting to embrace the efficiencies of automation, cash complicates things because of handling.
    Cash needs to be stored, stocked, transported, deposited, change needs to be given, there is physical theft risk.
    Most if not all of this disappears in card and other non-cash transactions, including the cash handling employees and transportation.

Maybe a small % of customers will be alienated, but it's still worth it. And even then, the largest consumer demographics will quickly be comprised of people who are accustomed to living in a cashless, automated world. Your daughter won't give it a second thought and neither will mine.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-21-2023 at 11:27 AM.

I first came across this ordering method while visiting England a couple of years ago. Nearly everything there is cashless and order through and app or touch screen. It was a bit awkward at first, but now I love it, although it seems some of the systems here, State side, area little flaky.

It also got me paying by phone, which I use anytime I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Patty, Google > proper tip for appliance delivery < or any other service. Mostly it is 10-20% depending on how well they did.
    I hope you mean 10-20% of the delivery charge, not the appliance cost! In my case, since I bought the refrigerator from Costco and delivery was free, I used the cash I had on-hand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Debit cards are basically cash, correct?
    And I don't think the merchant is charged a fee for accepting those (unlike the 3% or so for the CC purchases)
    But I could be wrong about a "no fee" charge to the merchant.
    There is definitely a fee to the merchant to take a debit card. If it is a true debit card transaction with a PIN the fee is less. If the debit card is charged like a credit card then the fee is often the same as a credit card. I use Square for a small side business and they seem to charge the same for debit and credit cards. I have never had a transaction that asked for PIN when taking a debit card. It is very, very rare that a debit card does not have a Mastercard or Visa logo on it.

I believe the law in the USA is that unless a sign says different you can pay with cash of any size bills and coins. I believe pennies are excluded. If they say we will not take cash, after they ring you up, legally you can take your item and walk out since they refused payment for a debt. If they have a sign credit cards only and it is right next to the ordering area then you have to pay. Or if they say no bills larger then $50.
    Bill D

Bill, that’s a good point . USA money is “legal tender” by law , and must be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    I don’t carry cash anymore. It just looks so boring. I like Canadian bills; good colors. But, not even colorful bills tend to accumulate in my wallet.
    I had been carrying $30 in my wallet for quite a few years. Somewhere along the way I spent $5. It has been months since I spent any cash. Yesterday I bought a bolt for $1.49 at the hardware store and used cash for the first time in months. Previously I got some cash from Dollar General as a refund because the system was not programmed with the sale price. The cashier couldn't figure out how to credit my card so she gave me cash instead. I used that cash at Walmart as part of my payment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Bill, that’s a good point . USA money is “legal tender” by law , and must be accepted.
    I thought "Pay To The Order Of" was legally binding as well.
    Occasionally, when I have a new client, I get a deposit to go and buy materials. I have tried to enforce the "Pay To The Order Of" instruction on a personal check at the clients credit unions several times. Credit unions have a legitimate way to charge non members 5% or 10% to cash a check. I learned to ask credit union folks for a credit card or to have them come along to the store. Our Lowes and Home Depot have both had self check for a while. I don't mind using it but have not tried to use cash.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I find only a few yard sales will take a credit card. The ones that do are more of a retail operation or an estate sale company than an actual yard sale.

I also find many businesses are more likely to drop a price if you're paying cash.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Not accurate
    https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm