Thread: Totem

Totem

Just about finished. Totem for the Western Michigan University Engineering Management Honor Society
    Waiting for the printed plaque. You can see the mounting holes on the burl. Totem for the Western Michigan University Engineering Management Honor Society.

Unknown-17.jpg

C&C welcome - except for rotating the picture...well look at that, I did get it oriented correctly. Wonder if I'll remember how I did that next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another nice one. Does the light actually light? In my opinion that was a very brave move drilling the mounting holes before the plaque was in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Another nice one. Does the light actually light? In my opinion that was a very brave move drilling the mounting holes before the plaque was in hand.
    The 'light' is a Swarovski crystal (coated). These things are placed in trophy cases and I don't want to mess with wires, batteries, and switches and have the electrics rot from neglect in some windowed case.

FWIW, I built a jig for the drilling holes and it is based on a previous plaque. I've successfully used it a couple times. However, the risk is greater since I've changed plaque companies. We'll see maybe later this week.

The mounting holes are threaded (#4X40). I apply a very small amount of epoxy to the threads and there is plenty of flex with that setup. The threads, I suspect just add tooth for the glue and not much else. I use brass standoffs for plaque mounting and #4 brass socket head screws. The holes in the plaque are oversized but still covered by the socket head. This base will require different length standoffs, 3/8" and 3/4"; first time for that big of a jump. But brass if easy to fit to length.

FWIW, about ready to start turning the next one. Both will be presented in October.