Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pocket hole poll

Blog Entries
    First time I used pocket screws, I was amazed at how stiff and strong the joint was. I will use them whenever the ugly holes are hidden, as in cabinet boxes.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Can we get photos of this shop? Looks interesting
    Lol its a cool spot. A nice thing about working collectively is you can more easily afford a ton of space and nicer machines. Also about a 5min walk from New York Harbor. Eat lunch just about every day looking out on the water towards Lady Liberty.

We have about 6 pros working full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haus View Post
    Before people cry wolf, know I had a repair and restoration business for several decades. I did a lot of work on 'old' stuff and I can say for doubters: that the screw pocket is nothing new. It was used on quite a few pieces of Pre-Civil war furniture to do things like hold aprons onto tabletops. It was not near as sophisticated as what's done today. Many times, it was a simple V groove cut in the back of the apron then a hole drilled on a diagonal through one side of the v to screw the top on.
    I too have found the apron screwed to the tabletop using a screw in a "pocket" while repairing several antique tables.

Kudos to all for the civility of the discussion.

I do toe-screw often, for structural and semi-structural connections with 3 1/2", 4" & 5" screws. I have 6" drill bits set up with Fuller countersinks for the purpose.

Nancy Hiller used pocket screws extensively in her work. In her book Kitchen Think she shows putting face frames together with them.
    I use them in situations like Glenn above, to secure parts that will be unseen and that would be difficult to clamp.

I also get the distinction between cabinetry and furniture. However if there are young would-be woodworkers reading this I would say to them not to get hung up on the separation. People feel they NEED cabinets and storage spaces. They will pay for them.
    People might feel they need a new dining table or interesting sideboards, and may talk it over with you and look at some drawings and ideas, and then go and buy one from Pier One Imports or someplace like that. Woodworker beware!

I use them occasionally where it is hard to use more traditional joints. I hate the way they look.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Nancy Hiller used pocket screws extensively in her work. In her book Kitchen Think she shows putting face frames together with them.
    I use them in situations like Glenn above, to secure parts that will be unseen and that would be difficult to clamp.

I also get the distinction between cabinetry and furniture. However if there are young would-be woodworkers reading this I would say to them not to get hung up on the separation. People feel they NEED cabinets and storage spaces. They will pay for them.
    People might feel they need a new dining table or interesting sideboards, and may talk it over with you and look at some drawings and ideas, and then go and buy one from Pier One Imports or someplace like that. Woodworker beware!
    I would very much like to second this suggestion. I am in my 6th year as a full time “woodworker”. My plan was to make bespoke furniture. I do some of that but mostly do millwork now and I honestly have too much work. I use hand tools on site as much as possible but sometimes you gotta whip out the multitool or fasten with pocket screws. Its all good!

You mean you planned to make custom furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Not exactly. I planned to only make custom furniture. While not freestanding, I do try to view the custom millwork as furniture when appropriate.

Fortunately I do make a bit of custom furniture. Unfortunately, I don’t exactly see a path making only custom furniture that is viable to support my family’s current needs.

Don’t use them and doubt I will. So many ways to accomplish the same things they do, or so it seems to me. Nothing against those who have learned to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    If this was a dig at the term 'bespoke', I agree with the sentiment- excessive hip/trendiness,

but it is actually probably an older word than 'custom' for the use.

Blog Entries

its a word from another shore not ours. Used to baffle customers who believe then work is worth more.

I dont relate to doing whats shown there id do mortise and tennon and mitre the bead.

In his 70's the old guy did his kitchen in Hickory all doors and face frames and door fronts were mortise and tennon. He had no use for cope and stick at least the small cutters. Same time he always said do what is right for you.

Hmm, not much of a wordsmith myself but I see your point regarding the use of “bespoke”. I guess its just so common to see these days I’ve subconsciously adopted it. There was definitely a time not long ago I thought it was a gross term.

I do use them. I do like them, but after the Festool Domino I use them less often now. The one main advantage is they are "self clamping" while the glue dries. I have a large number of clamps, but using pocket joinery, it takes far fewer clamps than traditional joints. I love this one aspect, alone, because it makes wood working more approachable for beginners (the cost of 3 or 4 pipe clamps will more than cover a pocket hole jig.)