Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dudek View Post
Thank you. I will try that. Do you know the com port settings that this engraver needs by chance? I have used the standard 9600, 8, none,1,none (and I have tried "hardware" flow control too to no avail).

Edit: I DID find that the table was down too far - past the bottom limit switch for some reason. I disassembled the left side just in case there were switches there (there were none). So I just have to put it all back together and test. I have a feeling this machine may have other issues, but I've been surprised before (I have a few older rotary engraving machines I have resurrected in the past that run well yet today).

Update: The limit switch did the trick for getting rid of my flashing lights and beeping. Now I just need to communicate with the engraver somehow (still getting error 201).
What year is the machine, I know at least part of year 2003 and everything past then has a motherboard with a USB, but the cutout on the back panel isnt necessarily there for the USB plug-in. I highly recommend you look to see if there is a USB even though there may not be a cutout to allow you to plugin to. If it has USB it can run Ruby, which again i highly recommend, but be careful about upgrading the firmware as going from JC6 to JC11 firmware all at once isnt good. I think you have to go from v6 -> v9 -> v11. As for the serial connection, check some of my previous posts as I know I address a specific USB to serial converter/controller that did a really good job as the cheap ones didnt do great. I cant remember the details on the serial specific stuff but you should beable to tell which comm port by going to device manager and tracking down what is what, for the baud rate, its got to be in an old manual somewhere.