Thread: Leigh DR4 Asymmetrical Dovetail Video

Leigh DR4 Asymmetrical Dovetail Video

Has anyone seen a good video on making asymmetrical dovetails with a Leigh DR4 jig? I want to make boxes where the bottom tail is much wider than the others. It seems that I need to use both sides of the jig for this and my results have been hit and miss.

trying to wrap my head around this, I have and use a D3. The dovetail spacing and size most of the time is wider and bigger at the bottom than the top. I have always used the left side of the jig.
    When I do carcass sides (20-24") I typically stay same size dovetails, when I do drawers (6-12") then the bottom dovetail is wider than the top.
    Just don't understand why you would need to use both sides of the jig.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I think I am following the instructions but I must be missing something.

I have always used both sides of my D1258 so I have the bottom tail wide enough to accommodate the drawer bottom with out being seen. This way I can do both sides of the drawer without moving any fingers. I always referenced the drawer bottom to the side stops.
    Although the jig joints are acceptable and maybe even stronger than hand cut. After years of using the jig I taught myself with the help of YouTube how to cut dovetails by hand. What I learned was that it's not that hard cutting them by hand, almost as fast and with much better joint appearance.

Follow the links for your dr4, there's tons of video on the leigh site.

https://www.leightools.com/instructi...d-user-guides/
    Last edited by John Kananis; 03-05-2023 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

I found the video I was looking for on the Leigh website in chapter 14 of the D4R Pro Complete Video.
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.