Thread: Lathe time needed, Silver Spring, MD area

Lathe time needed, Silver Spring, MD area

Moderators, if this is inappropriate please move/remove. I am moving to Silver Spring, MD and have sold/given away my entire shop, including my American Beauty. Looking to buy time/share/whatever lathe time in the Silver Spring area. I cannot seem to find any trace of a turning club, or maker space in the area. If anyone has suggestions, please advise. My email is terry.w.mccammonATgmail.com. Thank you.

montgomerycountywoodturners.org is in Rockville, MD

This is very close to Silver Spring.

mmwtc.org in frederick is a bit further out. There's one in Baltimore County https://baltimoreareaturners.org/new/
    , and one in Northern VA https://capwoodturners.org/

all are good clubs with large active talented memberships. I also think the Rockville Woodcraft rents out time on their equipment.

There use to be a maker space in Baltimore that was nicely equipped and reasonably priced. Not sure it's still open. The Baltimore club would know for sure, as I think one of the officers ran the maker space.

There had been a maker space in the Arlington/Falls Church area of Virginia. I tried to sign up for a metal spinning class there, but couldn't clear the dates. That would be a subway ride from Silver spring. I lived in Falls Church and worked in Silver Spring for a lot of years. Moved away 25 yrs ago. BTW, taxes were a heck of a lot cheaper in Virginia, so was car insurance. Don't know if that is still true. Between state and county income tax it was like 8 or 9 %, Maryland & Montgomery County are among the highest taxing jurisdictions in the country.