Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscillating Tool Blades

Oscillating Tool Blades

I have a DeWalt oscillating tool that I only use occasionally. But it's one of those tools that are really handy for certain jobs.

Anyway, I needed it recently and needed some new blades (for wood) so I went to Home Depot. Wow, are those blades expensive. They ran from about $8 EACH to $17 EACH. And for some applications they don't last a long time.

So I started searching for alternatives and found some on Amazon. I chose these which were about $0.60 each but you have to purchase 50. I've been using them for a short while and they seem to last about as long as more expensive blades I've used. But even if they didn't, I'd have to go through more than 10 for one of the expensive blades.

There are other (off) brands of oscillating blades but I don't know anything about them. The 50 that I got in this order will probably last me a long time.

I don't really understand why the name brand blades are so expensive. There's nothing really special about them - they're not carbide or any special metal that I can see. I suppose it's just that they don't sell a lot of them because the oscillating tool is not used every day.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I buy blade for my oscillating tool from different sources. For cutting hardwood trim etc I use either the Bosch OSC138JF or OSL114JF. They give a very fast clean cut in hardwood, but don't hit any nails or staples. Where I am likely to encounter metal, I use the Bosch OSL114C carbide blades. They cut wood slower, but don't have any issues with metal. I have cut metal duct work with the carbide tipped blades and other than lots of noise they make quick work of the cuts.

I find that the Bosch blades last longer than the off brand blades.

The larger quantity you buy at once the lower the prices gets per blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Great tip. For occasional use the large quantity sounds like a bargain for a lifetime supply. Like Lee I use the Bosch blades. The Curved-Tec Carbide Extreme series last many times longer than even comparably priced blades. I was trying to find the video where they cut sections off of 1/2" rebar in a controlled test. The Bosch blades looked too good to be true. In practice they work "just like on TV". In all this time I think I have only worn a couple of them out and that was during the shop build cutting metal.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are several Youtube videos on sharpening oscillating tool blades, worth considering given the price and relative short life.

I use Imperial brand blades.
    I saw them demonstrated down at Hartville Hardware several years ago & they seemed like they were pretty good so I picked up a few.

I also use the ones from Harbor Freight for icky and/or gooey gunk &/or junk work where I might hit an imbedded piece of unexploded WWII ordinance - or a nail...

As far as why the Borg wants so much....my wife wanted some Honey Mustard salad dressing. She left it on the shelf when she saw the price. $15 for a 15 ounce bottle. Insane...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    As far as why the Borg wants so much....my wife wanted some Honey Mustard salad dressing. She left it on the shelf when she saw the price. $15 for a 15 ounce bottle. Insane...
    She needs to shop where we shop.....honey.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    That's one of my favorites!! I also really like the Walnut Raspberry Vinaigrette..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I don't really understand why the name brand blades are so expensive. There's nothing really special about them - they're not carbide or any special metal that I can see. I suppose it's just that they don't sell a lot of them because the oscillating tool is not used every day.

Mike
    Probably the old razor/razor blade business model. Or ink printer/ink cartridge model. Or many others. The profit is made with the disposable blades.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    That's one of my favorites!! I also really like the Walnut Raspberry Vinaigrette..
    Ken’s Visalia Onion for me. And my wife’s homemade croutons. Lettuce is optional.

I’ll be on the lookout for bulk blades. I’d probably use my oscillating tool a lot more if blades weren’t so pricy.

For wood only I bought an Amazon pack. For anything that is wood with embedded nails screws I have found Fein and Imperial hold up well, budget blades not so much. Those Bosch carbide look interesting.

For those of you who mentioned the Bosch carbide blades, what brand of tool do you use them with? That is, will they fit any oscillating tool, such as my battery DeWalt? (This one). The mounting looks a bit different from what I usually use.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    One of my favs too.
    Awhile back one of the food/kitchen show websites did the "blind taste test" for all the Caesar dressings out there, from high end down to dollar star brands.
    Ken's Lite overwhelmingly dominated with all the "taster testers".
    I also like Ken's Simply Vinaigrette, which is pretty much my constant use one.

Kens' has some really good dressings across the board (or across the salad ), and prices are reasonable. It goes on sale every month or so and coupons show up too.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-16-2023 at 9:36 PM.

I buy any brand Swiss or German made blades. HF the teeth rub off in one minute or so it wood. Seems not to slow down the cut very much.
    I have heard of welding an old blade hub onto a carbide tooth slitting saw designe dfor metal working.
    BillD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For those of you who mentioned the Bosch carbide blades, what brand of tool do you use them with? That is, will they fit any oscillating tool, such as my battery DeWalt? (This one). The mounting looks a bit different from what I usually use.

Mike
    The blades I have seem to be made to be used on at least two types of mounts. My Oscillating tool is a Bosch.
    20230217_073835.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

There are to my knowledge only two types of blade attachments for oscillating tools. There is a starlock system that only Fein and some Bosch use and there is the system used originally by Fein and now used by all the other manufacturers. If you google starlock oscillating tool blades you can see what it looks like.

Thanks for the tip, Mike, that looks like a very reasonable way to buy blades to cut wood. I don't think they are nearly as critical as the carbide blades to cut metal. I mostly use Milwaukee blades and I think they are good but I'm using them because I am fortunate to participate in the "Seeds" program so I get them for free. The carbide blades may not last quite as long as a Fein but they are good blades. I don't really see a difference between most brands of wood cutting blades (but I agree HF are poor).

I also like the cordless DeWalt oscillating tool. We have one at church where I volunteer and I reach for it every time I need an oscillating tool. Unfortunately others tend to destroy the blades so finding a blade to use can be a challenge. At home I have a Fein that doesn't have the starlock system and a cordless Milwaukee and a couple others. The cordless Milwaukee will cut essentially as fast as the corded Fein. It is another "good one".