Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best tool for small round tenons?

Best tool for small round tenons?

I need to make several hundred handles for the stoppers in organ pipes. These will be glued to the stopper using a round tenon, 1/4 to 1/2" diameter, depending on the size of the stopper. I can turn them on my wood lathe, but getting a good fit requires time and attention. I'm wondering if there is a good tenon cutter I can use, preferably on the lathe, to quickly make an accurately sized tenon up to 3/4" long in that size range. Ideally it would leave a square corner so that the handles will sit down flush without further trimming. I see much larger ones for rustic furniture making from companies like Lee Valley, but they are too big and won't leave a square corner.

Here's a picture of some shapes I've been playing with:

IMG_6412.jpeg

(posting in the general form rather than turning because I thought this is the sort of thing that people making things like square balusters might use)
    Last edited by roger wiegand; 02-11-2023 at 8:03 AM.

I’ve had good luck using these for short tenons and/or dowels and plugs.
    https://woodworker.com/5-piece-tenon...su-880-756.asp

Mine have a tendency to do some burning along the surface of the tenon due to the tight fit of the cutter.

You might be able to avoid that with a higher quality cutter such as ones made by Famag, https://www.fine-tools.com/zapfenschneider.html, but will be paying premium prices for better tools.

if you’re ok with a shorter tenon, I’ve found these carbide plug cutters, made by Amana, to work well. https://www.toolstoday.com/v-10274-55220.html. You could always square the end off on the lathe if you need a bigger shoulder.

Good luck,

Clint

Related question. Why wouldn't you buy premade dowel and use a drill bit? thanks Brian
    Brian

I get quick and accurate tenons using open end wrenches to gauge diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Related question. Why wouldn't you buy premade dowel and use a drill bit? thanks Brian
    Thought about that, but the handles are small, I want to take the diameter down to the same size or smaller than the tenon immediately above the foot, it seems like an extra drilling step and extra gluing operation, as well as needing to cut short pieces of dowel. The handles need to be reasonably strong, after a while the stoppers can get pretty well stuck in the pipes and you need to apply some force to move them, so I want a (relatively) beefy tenon.

For the smaller pipes I'll turn the whole stopper as one piece, eliminating the need for a joint. In the bigger bass pipes that approach would waste a lot of wood.

I often do what Bradley suggested, but alternatively you can buy a sizing tool that attaches to a parting tool. It isn’t any more accurate than using an open ended wrench, but in that quantity the convenience might speed things up a tad. Look up Robert Sorby sizing tool and you’ll get a better idea of my poor description.

I love the other FAMAG bits I have, but don't seem to find a US source for the cutters you link here. I see that there are multiple places that sell the similar (presumably Chinese) ones. I guess I'll give them a shot. The plug cutters will take an extra step to square the shoulder, not a deal breaker, but not ideal. Thanks for the leads, wasn't sure whether those cutters would work for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I’ve had good luck using these for short tenons and/or dowels and plugs.
    https://woodworker.com/5-piece-tenon...su-880-756.asp

Mine have a tendency to do some burning along the surface of the tenon due to the tight fit of the cutter.

You might be able to avoid that with a higher quality cutter such as ones made by Famag, https://www.fine-tools.com/zapfenschneider.html, but will be paying premium prices for better tools.

An open end wrench is what I'm using now-- I thought about the Sorby tool, but was concerned with consistency/accuracy. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    How about a mini CNC lathe? I see on the web that they supposed to be becoming fairly affordable.

Mini Benchtop Wood Lathe for Small Wood Crafts & Arts | STYLECNC

Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 8.57.07 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-11-2023 at 10:12 AM. Reason: mini CNC lathe snip+link
    Best Regards, Maurice

This might be a good task for a small metal lathe or at least the tooling mechanism from one as it allows for very precise and controlled cuts...you'll get the diameter you want nailed as well as the flat shoulder since it takes your hands completely out of the picture. When working with wood, it's natural for us to focus on tools that are hand guided, but some tasks really are best handled by turning a crank.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I love the other FAMAG bits I have, but don't seem to find a US source for the cutters you link here. I see that there are multiple places that sell the similar (presumably Chinese) ones. I guess I'll give them a shot. The plug cutters will take an extra step to square the shoulder, not a deal breaker, but not ideal. Thanks for the leads, wasn't sure whether those cutters would work for this purpose.
    I've ordered from fine-tools.com before, especially to get metric items that are also "difficult to find a US source" for. Shipping costs and time for delivery weren't too bad, though I haven't done too many orders recently. Dieter Schmid has a lot of quality offerings available.

Clint

Rockwell made a cross slide for their wood lathes to allow limited metal turning. Maybe use a full width form tool for the tennon.
    Bill D.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/134440215349
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-11-2023 at 3:19 PM.

Now we're talking!! I love this idea. Small enough that I might be able to sneak it into the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    How about a mini CNC lathe? I see on the web that they supposed to be becoming fairly affordable.

Mini Benchtop Wood Lathe for Small Wood Crafts & Arts | STYLECNC

Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 8.57.07 AM.png

I guess it could finally be time to learn to use one of the many metal lathes at the museum where I volunteer. Most of the machines just sit there, having someone actually using one would be a hit with the visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This might be a good task for a small metal lathe or at least the tooling mechanism from one as it allows for very precise and controlled cuts...you'll get the diameter you want nailed as well as the flat shoulder since it takes your hands completely out of the picture. When working with wood, it's natural for us to focus on tools that are hand guided, but some tasks really are best handled by turning a crank.

That's a brilliant idea of using a metal lathe, Jim.