Thread: Help me figure out Bessey parallel clamps

Help me figure out Bessey parallel clamps

They have the K series, Vario K, and Jr series in their parallel clamps. What is the difference? Are the extra features worth it?

Bonus: do you find parallel clamps worth the premium over I-beam clamps?

Tony,
    I have some K series clamps and I think they are very good. The jaws close perfectly parallel. I recently bought some 12" Jr clamps they are smaller than the K series and have smaller jaws and less clamping force. They look like they will be good for clamps up smaller work pieces. I also have some I-beams they clamp with great force but the jaws are pretty small. I feel the K series are the everyday use clamps.
    Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Bonus: do you find parallel clamps worth the premium over I-beam clamps?
    I have both. Each kind has its uses. If I could only buy one type, I'd start with buying the Dubuques. YMMV.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use the Dubuques and am really happy with them. They are very light I’ve never found myself wishing I had larger clamp faces.

I do keep a handful of F-style clamps for reaching into the middle of a piece, but the Dubuques get used the majority of the time.

If by I-beam clamps you mean those that are assembled with steel pipes, they can get very heavy and difficult to maneuver single handedly.

I prefer deep throated F clamps since you can control where the point of pressure is located.

Parallel clamps seem optimized for flat board laminations and not much more. For laminations I like the Dubuque clamps.