Thread: The classifieds

The classifieds

Howdy All!

Is there something in the air that’s making folks sell their Lie Nielsen tools? I know that some sales were for extenuating circumstances (which I’m sorry for and I hope those sales help) but there’s just so many others also for sale. I’ve never seen so many LN’s in the classifieds here or anywhere for that matter.

And I might add that many of the ads were really good deals, a few really made me wish I was in the market. I just had to put this out there because it’s been so tempting!!

Jeff (who owns surprisingly few LN tools)

Yeah noticed that too. Outside of the extenuating circumstances you're referring to, I think it's taking advantage of the other extenuating circumstances, ie some of these tools are out of stock. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Folks are moving a tool that they don't use much to someone who needs it and is happy to pay up for it. The free market working perfectly. Plus these tools are so well made what does it really matter if it's lightly used? Especially if you need it.

I’m definitely in the ‘buy used’ camp, and I love an active used market, it’s just surprising the volume of LN stuff that has hit the classifieds lately.

Blog Entries
    The Classifieds seem to have a lot of activity lately.

It may be due to Christmas season being a good time to sell and people needing money to purchase gifts.

Though there is something to be said for selling when the market is high.

One of my LN planes that is used occasionally was purchased years ago for ~$250. It is not going for more than $500 since it isn't being made currently. If money was needed in a hurry, that would be a great way to raise some cash.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Having both gotten rid of a few tools that have been languishing in my shop for years and acquired a plane that is just a joy to use within the last month, all I can say is 'tis the season. I finally got it together to list my tools because I needed the shelf space back. When one I really wanted then came up a week later I could think of it as a swap rather than spending new money. (nonsensical reasoning, I understand!, but it worked...)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    I’m definitely in the ‘buy used’ camp, and I love an active used market, it’s just surprising the volume of LN stuff that has hit the classifieds lately.
    I seem to recall one Classified's seller mentioning he was helping a widow with items from her collector husband's estate. Not sure if that is still a factor.

If I started selling off to make a little space, it could likely take up a full page. That may be something for my heirs to do.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Having both gotten rid of a few tools that have been languishing in my shop for years and acquired a plane that is just a joy to use within the last month, all I can say is 'tis the season. I finally got it together to list my tools because I needed the shelf space back. When one I really wanted then came up a week later I could think of it as a swap rather than spending new money. (nonsensical reasoning, I understand!, but it worked...)
    This used to be my way of saving up money to buy a new tool. Buy at junk stores, flea markets, estate sales and such. Then rehabilitate them and sell for a profit. Much of my time when searching ebay was not only for bargains but to know what people might pay for any particular item.

There are a few items still on my "want one for the shop" list. There are many that tempt me enough from my "one more would be nice" list that ebay is avoided.

Some items priced at a ridiculously low price at a yard sale might come home with me, but just as many have been passed by to leave for the next guy who may need it or is making a living buying and selling.

jtk

Some, like me buy more than they need or use. Im thinking 2023 is scary. who knows whats going to happen May as well clean shop while people still have some money.

Seems that the used tool market is running in the opposite direction. When I was looking to buy a sawstop, I looked for 3 years online, using a automatic alert, and saw one for saw, which immediately disappeared. In the past couple of months I have seen nearly a half dozen.
    I've seen something similar with the local woodworking equipment store. They have a used equipment section with whatever people want to sell. The deals are okay, but nothing amazing, probably because they're getting their cut. In the past few years they've had 3-4 items at best. Now they've got a 12-18, and they just put two on sale (which I've never seen). Oh and at one point there was a sawstop.

For a variety of reasons people appear to be selling a lot of stuff, and fewer people buying.

That’s the way it goes. I’ve been on both sides. Sometimes you can’t give tools away. Sometimes it seems they must be made of gold. I guess it depends on whether I’m buying or selling
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

IMHO, some of the reason for the uptick in sale offerings is the COVID woodworkers no longer wanting/needing their new tools. I've seen several Facebook listings for shops full of nearly new power tools now for sale. Of course, those folks want all of their money back out of their purchases. Few bargains to be had particularly when you consider the prices of new tools from Grizzly have dropped a bit due to much improved shipping costs.

Blog Entries
    Like Dwayne posted, during the early days of covid lockdowns a lot of people decided to work on their homes. Used tool prices went up like a rocket.

As stocks ran low and manufacturing was cut back even specialty and premium new tools were hard to find. That pushed prices higher for used.

Manufacturing has still not been able to catch up in many areas. Some tools have been cut from the product lines.

Who knew there was such an investment opportunity at the beginning of the pandemic?

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Who knew there was such an investment opportunity at the beginning of the pandemic?
    Even if somebody told me, I wouldn't have believe it. Truth is truly stranger than fiction.