Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being published

Being published

Hi everyone

Because of a series of private messages between me and another person here the topic of being published came up. And the other person I was talking to knew I had been published and he indicated that several people here might be interested in those of us that have been published in one form or another associated with our woodworking.

And while I don't normally like to toot my own horn, I don't think it is fair of me to ask all of you to let us all know when, where and for what subject you have been published for your skills in woodworking, without sharing my experiences also.

So far I have been in print 3 times, well, the third time was actually a 2-part series so I guess maybe 4 times. Here are my experiences. PLEASE share with us your own experiences as well.

The first time was in Woodworker's Journal for October 2019 when they published a very small piece along with pictures of the time I spent teaching my two grandsons to build Adirondack chairs for their Mom and Dad as a Christmas present.

The second time was in Wood magazine October of 2022 when they published a shop tip I had sent in and it was chosen as top tip for the month. The tip involved using 12-24 set screws as drawer stops to keep drawers from being pulled all the way out accidentally.

The third time was just published on Woodworking Crafts a magazine that is popular in the UK. My shop is small so fitting more tools into it is a difficult process. So when I decided I wanted a lathe for some of my projects I came up with the idea of a mobile base for a mid-sized lathe that would be stored in my wood shed and and rolled into my shop when needed. So as I constructed the mobile base I wrote an article about it and submitted it to GMC Publications and they purchased the article from me and ran it as a 2-part series in the Woodworking Crafts magazine.

So now it is your turn, tell us about your experiences being published PLEASE.

Jerry Carpenter
    A woodworker for the last 52 years

Congratulations on being published, Jerry, and welcome to the forum. It takes a bunch of time to do the research, maybe take pictures, and write and edit the work. And to find someone who will publish the work. So you have an accomplishment that you should be proud of.

You asked us for our experience with being published. All my published pieces were quite a bit in the past that I don't remember much about them. I wrote about carving, veneering, marquetry, and various small projects.

Keep sharing your ideas and expertise.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Wood magazine printed the rocking horse I made back in '08 in their e-newsletter.
    ideagallery.gif
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    A cherry jewelry box I made for my wife.
    photo 020.jpgphoto 021.jpgjewel2.jpgjewel4.jpgjewel5.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quite a few years ago I was published in Canadian Woodworker magazine when I won the monthly contest with my cedar strip canoe....
    Image17.jpg Image18.jpg

Blog Entries
    Hi Gerald and welcome to your first post.

Both of my published articles have been tips in the trade. My first was for registration guides used in a silkscreen print shop that employed me.

My second was in Popular Woodworking for a simple shim stack to use to counter vise racking. Its advantage is that it uses only four leaves to make up sizes from 1/8" to 1-7/8" and not fall out of the vise when it was opened:

Anti-Rack Spacer Stack.jpg

It also sits low in the vise so it doesn't get in the way of using a longer plane.

It is also here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183743

Mine has been in use for over ten years now and has only been in need of repair once or twice. A few times the thought has come to me of making it with one more leaf of 3/16" for finer adjustment, but it has never seemed a dire necessity.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’ve had two tips published:

Shopnotes issue 97: hose support
    Shopnotes issue 105: work sharp disk storage

Tips too numerous to mention, FWW, WoodSmith, Top Tip in Wood. The thing to remember is you have to send in your tip for it to be published. My greatest claim to fame is inventing the "Top Hat Thien Baffle." Everybody who builds one remembers me, yeah right. Phil invented the baffle, I only made it better

52 papers in peer-reviewed science journals, 2 issued parents and more published applications, 4-5 articles on restoring my fairground organ in widely read magazines like The Carousel Organization of America Journal, the Fair Organ Preservation Society Journal, and the Carousel News and Trader. In the publication world this is probably much like winning the Grammy for "Perhaps Not Technically the Best But Arguably The Most Famous Accordion Player In An Extremely Specific Genre of Music" (see the Weird Al parody biopic for context).

Still aspiring to get an actual woodworking publication-- getting a picture of a piece in FWW is still on the life list of things to be done. Decent photography is the rate-limiting step. I'm still at the stage of the guy who hopes to win the lottery but doesn't buy a ticket.

Technically, every post on line is a form of "published" Every picture reproduced from your camera or posted. Every Youtube video. I realize you are confining your discussion to written media such as magazines. We often don't count the newsletter type articles that get printed even when the circulation is 14,000 members.

I had some photos published in a magazine for Art Teachers when I was in high school. They were photos I had taken of various pieces of student art, including one of my own. My Art teacher submitted them. Also a 3 panel comic strip, was published in a magazine for German language teachers. I was in 11th grade at the time. Another company sent me a check for $50 to use the comic in it's publication and then changed it's mind when it realized the comics were my drawings of Chas Schultz's Snoopy. The story and joke were my own in German, but the likeness was always Snoopy and was part of the humor. (Snoopy and the Red Baron were all the rage at the time) The German Teacher magazine said my comic came under an exception to the copyright law, the other company's attorneys said no it wasn't and asked for the money back. I had already spent it so I wrote and offered to pay it back from my part time job. The next letter from the attorney apologized and said not to bother, since I was a high school student and under the law, too young to enter a contract.

In college, I fell head over heels for a girl. I wrote a poem loosely copying the style of Shakespeare's Sonnets. I used pen and ink to write out the poem on a piece of heavy parchment paper that I had antiqued, burned the edges and rolled into a scroll and sealed with sealing wax. I gifted it to her for no special reason, but I did gift it. She was an art major and asked me lots of questions about how I made it. Well she dumped me at the end of the semester. She turned around and copied the method I used and rewrote the poem, kept a couple phrases intact, and was selling quite a few copies through a few local "head shops." My parents did ask their attorney to look into it and he said there was nothing I could do, I gifted it to her (The law may have changed on that in the late 1970's)

Around 1983, I wrote a legal brief for an appeal concerning a negligent design case which brought up a novel issue to negligent design. The Court cited that part of my brief, adopting it as a correct statement of the law. And that paragraph has been repeated and cited a few dozen times in legal articles in magazines and journals, for which I haven't any rights because the court repeated it as law.

I wrote an article for a farming magazine about how a fluke in federal law led to a farmer's corn being declared a hazard to aviation. (The airport property was only 100 ft wide and 1,200 ft long and should never have been licensed as a public airport. Federal Law prohibits any thing over 12 inches high within 125 feet of the center of the air strips at public airports so the 6 ft corn crop on the farmer's land at the edge of the airport property was a hazard to aviation.)

My wood working skills are very limited, pretty much to small craft items. A picture of some of my items appeared in a small weekly newspaper article about a craft fair where I set up. I heard about it long afterward and never did find a copy.

Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 12-09-2022 at 8:20 PM.

In one of my earlier lives (two marriages, one career and several decades ago) I was heavily involved with sailboats and sailboat racing. I was a certified measurer for boats racing under the IOR (International Offshore Racing Rule) system, which was most of the major racing at that time. There was also the meter rating system under which the America's Cup was sailed until relatively recently and the PHRF system. I wrote articles published in Yachting and Sail magazines on all three of those systems. I've done my share of sailing including thousands of miles on the ocean and a single-handed race from California to Hawaii (13 days alone) and have articles in other publications about sailing adventures.

About 40 years ago I got a degree in Computer Science. No publications there unless you count websites**, but sailboats and computers are the only areas in which I claim real expertise in this forum.

However, in the 1970's before all that I was a licensed general contractor. After a few years I decided it wasn't my thing although I never really laid down my tools. I have roofed a few houses, painted a few, painted too many rooms, remodeled a few kitchens, wired, plumbed and in general know what to do with almost any tool I pick up. However I have built very little furniture, hardly ever used a lathe and in Sawmill Creek, nearly everybody who is good at something involving woodworking is better at it than I am.

** There was a small regional airline (30,000 passengers/year) running on software I wrote. Maybe that's also sort of a publication.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 12-10-2022 at 5:06 PM.

I've had three of my projects published in Wood Magazine's "Sounding Board":
    Logging Truck
    IMG_1070.jpg

Gauss Bowling
    Gauss Bowling.jpg

And the Wine Rack
    wine cab 3.jpg
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Not woodworking, but a 3-4 page article (plus code listings) in a long-defunct magazine for AppleII users, sometime in the 1982-83 range.
    (Back in the days when you could publish mods to a commercial operating system without some corporate lawyer losing his, um, composure.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    My Rangely boat was published in the "Launchings" section of Wooden Boat Magazine in 92 0r 93. Several of my instruments appear in published music recordings and videos.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-19-2022 at 7:58 AM.

Mnaged to get 2 tips published. Both in "Fine Woodworking" June 2007 and June 2008.
    The June 2008 won me tip of the month and a Leigh 18inch Superjig.
    One was for making a table saw mobile and one for making a workbench mobile.
    In both cases the the saw and the bench would be back on their own "feet" once in their new position.
    Cheers,

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Janssen; 12-18-2022 at 11:52 PM.