Thread: Bench legs - mounting plate versus threaded insert

Bench legs - mounting plate versus threaded insert

I recently made an outside bench for my sister-in-law and used mounting plates with bolts to attach the legs (threaded inserts in the legs). It works fine, but due to their location and shape, the legs don't have any additional lateral support and are slightly more wobbly than I like. I think it's "ok", but I'm wodnering if a different attachment method would give me better stability.

The mounting plate I'm using is:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08R5GYVRH

which doesn't have a huge flat surface area for the top of the leg to sit flush against.

Any suggestions on a sturdier alternative? What about threaded insets on both sides: inside the leg (which I already have) AND in to the bench?

20221119_142024.jpg

The longer the legs more wobble, I don't think the hardware you chose will ever work well. How about just adding a narrow maybe 2" wide skirt around the top of the legs & really locking them in. Nice looking bench ! Hope you get figured out

I also thought of some skirting or braces to hold the legs in, but I really wanted them to be removable. Maybe removable with screws is as good as it will get.

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    The longer the legs more wobble, I don't think the hardware you chose will ever work well. How about just adding a narrow maybe 2" wide skirt around the top of the legs & really locking them in.
    NICE LOOKING BENCH ! Hope you get figured out +1 very nice bench
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-05-2022 at 6:39 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Those mounting plates are not going to provide much support. I would make an offset bridle joint to join the legs to the outside slats. Here's a view with end of the outside set back so you can see how it fits together. Plenty of glue, plenty strong.
    John

Thanks for the suggestion, John. I ended up using a bridle/mortise. I lose the ability to break the bench down, but it is rock solid and looks much nicer.
    20221210_112616.jpg20221211_091337.jpg