Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam Bending Wood - Box material?

Blog Entries
    The physics of steam are fascinating from one pipe low pressure steam heat, to steam engines, to bending wood. It is becoming rather esoteric. Old steam engine guys, boiler makers, and building superintendents are fun to talk with.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think these “steamy “ reads should always mention that only air-dried wood is going to work well for steam bending .
    Maybe it was steam bending beginners luck, combined with 1/8” air dried Walnut. I needed to bend the 1/8” thick x 12” wide Air dried Walnut to a 11” radius for a tall case clock hood skin and it bent beautifully on the first try, not sure if I should have bought a lottery ticket after the occasion or that’s just an easy peasy bend..

Blog Entries
    Thickness is a huge factor. The tighter the bend the thinner the wood will need to be. Does anyone have experience with ammonia gasification?
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The physics of steam are fascinating from one pipe low pressure steam heat, to steam engines, to bending wood. It is becoming rather esoteric. Old steam engine guys, boiler makers, and building superintendents are fun to talk with.
    Yes ! But strangely what makes it so interesting is that when they talk boilerplate is it’s not all “boilerplate” !