Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ryobi is making a 40 volt cordess post hole auger

John, did you use square or round posts? Our horse fence has square posts for board fencing, and I was discouraged by a post pounder seller that said they didn't work good for square posts because sometimes one would twist as it went down. I need to replace a run of about 100 posts that are nearing end of life at 42 years old.

I've found it faster to use a two man auger than the tractor auger, but we have to catch it when the ground is right. Mark the hole locations, and the auger comes out of one hole and sits in place for the next. It's multiple times faster than positioning the tractor with auger, although not exactly easier, but a good workout.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-10-2022 at 1:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I sometimes use a 12” dia auger on the back of a tractor to drill holes 3’ deep for 6 to 8” dia fence posts, often in hard, rocky clay once past the topsoil.
    I use a 12" auger for the posts we have, 5" hallow Vinyl, no pounding possible.
    Our soil sounds like the opposite of yours. We have 2-4 feet of hard clay on top. Once you eventually grind through the top clay layer of soil the sugar starts to grab and if you're not ready you'll be doing a wheelie. Sometimes it takes a half an hour to get through the fine rock impregnated clay. Not to mention what it does to the teeth.
    IMG_1932.jpg
    I really can't see how something like to battery powered tool could cope with the soil conditions some of us have.

When I built our chicken coop (nearly 200 square feet, standing headroom for me) a couple of years ago at the age of 80 I dug holes for about a dozen 4x4 posts with a post hole digger - the manual kind - and a heavy iron digging bar. It was not fun. If those had been available then, and especially if I'd already had the stash of 40v Ryovi batteries and chargers I have now, it would have been worth it.

I suspect it's like my Ryobi 40v chainsaw. It's not a great chainsaw but as long as I have a battery and it has oil in it, I pull the trigger and it's ready to go. The convenience and the fact that it's not one more gas engine to maintain make up for a lot. You don't always need the toughest tool on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    I suspect it's like my Ryobi 40v chainsaw. It's not a great chainsaw but as long as I have a battery and it has oil in it, I pull the trigger and it's ready to go. The convenience and the fact that it's not one more gas engine to maintain make up for a lot. You don't always need the toughest tool on the block.
    I absolutely agree about the ease and convenience aspect, I like my 40v trimmers. I think however this particular tool may have crossed that line.
    When a tool of any kind is under powered for the job at hand, the convenience factor immediately disappears.

Motor Torque 1.9 ft. lbs. would not even scratch the surface where I live.
    https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...specifications

I know it works for some, I'm just not one of them. Everything (new) out here in CA will be electric soon enough (AB 1346) so hopefully they up the power before I need to get one

I suspect it's like my Ryobi 40v chainsaw. It's not a great chainsaw but as long as I have a battery and it has oil in it, I pull the trigger and it's ready to go. The convenience and the fact that it's not one more gas engine to maintain make up for a lot. You don't always need the toughest tool on the block.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea whether this posthole digger is any good or not and it's doubtful I will ever own one to find out. I have a tractor mounted one and that is better anyway. I do have the 40 volt chain saw and it's pretty useful. As you say you throw a battery on it and go. I barely need a chain saw once a year anymore. Keeping a gas running wouldn't be worth it. It's also quiet. No hearing protection needed. You basically have the whir of the chain and a little motor noise. A Stihl might and probably is better but it's more money too.

we have a 2 or 3 in auger we put on a drill for the garden and planting bulbs and a 9 and 12 in for the pto driven on the 50 hp tractor. it would seem the are going for the first market, not the second. our soil here is such that even the tractor has trouble with a 9 in hole and me hanging off the back for down pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    ...Motor Torque 1.9 ft. lbs. would not even scratch the surface where I live.
    https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...specifications....
    1.9 ft. lbs. would be the equivalent of a 1.9 pound pull on a handle 1 foot long. Sounds pretty underwhelming. You might do better putting a T-handle on an auger bit. But your link also claims "30% more torque...compared to average gas augers." Something's not right there.

My 40v Ryobi chainsaw seems to be about 2/3 as gutsy as my gas-engined Stihl MS180C, which is a lightweight as chainsaws go. Since the auger uses the same battery the motor is perhaps not much different from the one in the chainsaw, although geared way down. Whether it's actually good for anything - I dunno. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    1.9 ft. lbs. would be the equivalent of a 1.9 pound pull on a handle 1 foot long. Sounds pretty underwhelming. You might do better putting a T-handle on an auger bit. But your link also claims "30% more torque...compared to average gas augers." Something's not right there.

My 40v Ryobi chainsaw seems to be about 2/3 as gutsy as my gas-engined Stihl MS180C, which is a lightweight as chainsaws go. Since the auger uses the same battery the motor is perhaps not much different from the one in the chainsaw, although geared way down. Whether it's actually good for anything - I dunno. Maybe.
    Key words are "motor torque". That's not the way I'd want to advertise it, but it's almost certainly geared down to some stupidly slow speed. And since it's electric, max torque is at 0 RPM. (As a reference, their 1/2" 18V impact wrench is rated at 450ftlb.)

My main concern would be how well those gears would hold up against the usual impacts of rocks/roots etc...thankfully not something I need to worry about.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I think it's biggest advantage is being able to go in reverse. But if you have to keep backing up you're not really drilling holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    …. our soil here is such that even the tractor has trouble with a 9 in hole and me hanging off the back for down pressure.
    Yikes, I’ve read reports of people getting mangled when slipping off the auger while acting as weights. The lack of down pressure on 3-pt hitches is a significant limitation at times.

When I get rich I want to an auger attachment for the front of the skid steer. Hydraulically powered, i think some have reverse. Having complete control of down pressure would be a huge advantage in some situations. The visibility would be good too. I’ve seen auger attachments for excavators too. They might be perfect when putting in posts on steep slopes and other places inaccessible to the tractor.

JKJ